[17] "Oh?"

STUPID. THAT'S all I can even think of when I look back at myself in the rear view mirror. Here I was thinking Archer and I were finally having a moment and I was seeing part of his human side, but then he says something so flippantly—so calmly—and I'm irritated. The words keep replaying in my head "you'll deal with it tomorrow"...like yeah I know it's my car and the damage is on my car, but dismissing it and me like that rubbed me the wrong way. Plus a little part of me thought he had the kindness in him to maybe help me out with it.

     But no.

     It's Archer Cross...what can I expect really.

     I take a moment to sit in my car even though I'm home, parked outside the house. I'm hoping everyone is asleep so I don't get chewed out for not having Leila's strawberries, but my hopes are crushed when I see a singular light on inside the house. I groan, getting out of my car and running my hand along the damage to the fender with a frown. Something moves to my right and I jump, hurrying my butt inside and locking the door behind me.

     The minute I walk inside I meet the eyes of Leila, arms crossed and face in a scowl as she looks at my empty hands.

     "Where's the strawberries Mom and Dad told you to get?" she asks, tone condescending.

     "They didn't have any left," I lie.

     "Yeah right...your fat ass probably ate them all on the way home. Couldn't help yourself could you? I just went through a breakup and you're prancing around with nothing but utter disrespect," she makes a noise of disgust and storms off.

     I swallow thickly, trying to get past the lump in my throat as Leila's hurtful words hit just right.

• • •

Waking up for school the next morning was hell. I barely got any sleep last night tossing and turning, trying to clear my mind. I did some last minute research on my phone about some auto body shops in the area that could fix my car quickly before I went to school. Luckily there was one that opened at 6am and could possibly get my dent removal completed by the time I need to be at school at 8am...well I'm hoping they can but I'm really not sure how long these things take.

I didn't bother dressing nice when I woke at 5am and decided on some grey sweatpants, a slim black shirt, and my classic white air forces. I threw my hair up in a messy bun and slapped on some minimal makeup.

And that brings me here, in front of the auto body shop, sitting in my car listening to Khalid. I sigh, pulling the key out of the ignition and walking in the small shop. When I make my way into the lobby, there's no one there and the place looks empty. The only indication that they're open is the sign along with the lights on and shining bright.

"Uh...hello?" I call out.

No answer.

Alright, no worries, I'll just have to explain what the crap happened to my car to my friends today.

I turn around, ready to go home and try to catch another hour of sleep when I hear footsteps behind me. I slowly turn, finding a tall figure walking in from the back room.

"Oh, hey. I didn't expect anyone in this early, my apologies," he says, tidying up the front desk before making eye contact.

My brow furrows as I recognize him. But I sure as heck am not gonna say anything about it unless he does first-

"Raven Micheals? From school?" he says.

Welp...there goes that.

"Yeah, K-Kade Fosters right?" I say, clearing my throat to sound less timid.