Chapter forty-eight: Zira's point of view

Chaos. That would be a good word to describe the pridelands right about now. Just plain, utter chaos. Lionesses went against other lionesses, hoping a drop or two of traitor's blood would be shed. And Zira loved it.

She stood atop a pillar of stones, barking orders at her lionesses. "Scratch his eye out!! Get them!!! Show no mercy!!!"

Lionesses weaved in and around each other in battle, the mud that was caked into the pelts of the lionesses of Zira's pride flinging every which way. Rain splashed out of the puddles that lined the ground. Lionesses thrashed around in the mud and puddles, their pelts getting soaked in rain, mud, and who knew what else.

Hatari led her own little pack through and around some of the stronger lionesses of Simba's pride. Zira's second-in-command, Hila, assisted Hatari in attacking a group of three lionesses, one with a reddish pelt, one with a darker brown pelt, and one with a tanner pelt, similar to Nala's.

Zira looked the other way to see Vitani on top of another group of rocks, glaring down at Nala with a wicked smile on her face.

"Where's your pretty daughter, Nala??" She cackled tauntingly. Nala's ears went down in hatred, almost as if remembering a certain...incident that involved Vitani.

"Vitani!!!" Nala barked, jumping onto her and clawing at her fur as Vitani attempted to twist out from Nala's paws and back towards the upper hand in the battle. Zira knew that Vitani would easily be able to get the upper hand back in the battle. She supposed that Nala still wasn't over the Kopa incident.

Zira took note of some of her lionesses overpowering Simba, and she barked his name. He was her kill. She had waited for this moment for so many months, now. No one could take this away from her.

She jumped down from the rocks and began slowly walking towards Simba.

"You're mine." She growled, mud dripping from her chin and onto the ground with every slow step she took.

Simba swatted one lioness after another away from him, clearly having the upper hand. But when Zira bounded up to him, she swatted him in the muzzle, and his head hit the ground in a way that made Zira satisfied. Yes. Now Simba would feel her pain. All of her grief. All of her guilt. All of the fear that she had bottled up inside of her for all of these months. Now she had someone to pass it onto.

The whole fight seemed to stall as the lionesses looked at the two leaders circling each other. This was it. This would determine who the pridelands would belong to, once and for all. Zira roared and raised her paw into the air. So did Simba. Zira bared her claws. So did Simba. This was it. Both lions began to bring their paws down in attack, until...

Simba looked to the left. What? No, Zira wanted a good fight. She wanted to feel like she accomplished something. She couldn't just end Simba because of mere coincidence. She looked to the left to see what had gotten Simba's attention.

A crack of lightning rang out, and two lions jumped out of nowhere. Zira was shocked to see Kovu now facing her with a look that she had seen on Scar's face one too many times. The look that was a mix of disappointment and fearlessness. By his side was Kiara, staring her father down.

"Kiara?" Simba asked.

"Kovu!!!" Zira barked, outraged that her traitor of a son dared to look her in the eye.

"Move." Zira growled slowly and forcefully.

"Stand aside." Simba told his daughter. Simba may be Zira's enemy, but she had to give him credit for putting his daughter's wellbeing before his greed.

Kiara looked at her father sternly and said, "Daddy, this has to stop."

"You're even weaker than I thought." Zira said. "Get outta the way!!!" Although she despised Kovu, she still couldn't bring herself to hurt him anymore. He was still the innocent lion that she had known since Scar first brought him home. He was still her son.