Chapter 20

Three days sped by since the night of Emma and David kissing. Emma still couldn't believe that it had happened. David hadn't been to the farm because of his injuries, so Emma hadn't seen him. After spending most of the day with Demelza and the children, Emma decided to take a walk to beach to clear her head.
Maybe if she hadn't stooped to get a pebble out of her shoe, she wouldn't have seen him. David was swimming in the surf. It took a moment for Emma to realize that he was naked. She felt herself blush from the roots of her hair to the bottom of her feet. He didn't see her, but she saw him. Her pulse was racing and she turned to go the other way. So many emotions swirled around inside her head...and body. Emma bit her lip in indecision. She took off back to the house, and felt the heat that rose in her stomach die down.
When Emma lay in bed that night, she found herself thinking of David; the way his wet hair stuck to his forehead, how the water shimmered on his back.
When David came back to work at the farm, Emma started noticing him acting a little nervous around her. Part of her felt the same way. They weren't awkward children anymore; Emma was at the age where many women were married, even though she knew the odds of any man asking for her hand were unlikely when she had no fortune or family ties. David could have easily went to another town or village for better work, but out of family responsibilities had stayed at the farm.
By the end of the week, Emma couldn't hold it in anymore. When evening came and he left to go back to his cottage, Emma met him by the road.
"David, I want know; do you love me?"
There was no hesitation from him. He had loved her from afar since he started working at Nampara. David let out a breath; there was no hiding his feelings anymore.
"I love you Emma. But part of me has always been afraid to tell you."
"Why, David?"
"I'm the son of a poor miner and a stable boy; I can't give you the life you were born into."
"What I was born into is the dead past. My family's fortune ended the day I walked into Philip Crawley's kitchen. My family is gone; there's nothing holding me back."
"Emma don't say that, Emma. They might still come for you."
Emma fought back a sob.
"My mother abandoned me to a monster because I was another mouth to feed! The man practically owned me until Ross made me his foster child. Everyone I loved is gone."
"Emma, your mother sent you to work because she didn't have a choice. I know how you must feel like you lost your family, but you have so many people who care about you; Prudie loves you, Demelza loves you, Jeremy and Clowerence adore you. Even though he might not show it, Ross loves you. Be my wife, Emma. I can't promise you much, but I can take care of you and provide."
Emma put her arms around David. He wiped her tears away with the pad of his thumb. They knew that the pain of the past was just starting to fade.