Chapter Fifty-six

This chapter is dedicated to maddi03798 for all the lovely votes. I hope you continue to enjoy this story. I appreciate you so much.

"I didn't get into UCLA," I say as soon as Liam picks up

A moment of silence passes before he says, "I'm sorry, baby."

I sigh.

"They didn't even waitlist me. I worked so hard on my Essay. I don't get it." I pout even though he can't see me.

"I know you did. Any college would be lucky to have you. But maybe there are better things out there for you. Steff wouldn't let you go there anyway." He says, and I smile despite the situation.

"I guess that's true," I say, letting out a pent-up breath. "It still sucks, but maybe it's for the best. Where are you?"

"Heading over to Ryan's. His parents are out of town, and Jenny went to Jersey with some friends. Gonna keep him company for a while."

"Oh, I'm meeting Steff in like 30 too."

"I miss you, baby." He breathes.

"I miss you too," I tell him, meaning it.

I miss him every second he is away from me.

"I love you." He says, and it has the same effect on me as the first time. Butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"I love you more."

"Not possible. I'll text you when I get there."

"Okay, babe." I hang up and smile to myself, but it slowly fades as the envelope in front of me stares me down.

A soft knock comes on the door, and mom lets herself in without waiting for an invite. I look at her with dismay, and she nods in understanding.

"I guess it's not good news." She says, looking at the envelope with caution.

"I didn't get in," I say, burying my face in my palms.

Receiving a rejection letter from UCLA feels like a slap across the face, even though I already got into Rochester. I wanted to keep my options open, but I guess Fate had to have her way.

"Oh, honey. I'm sorry." Mom walks in and wraps her arms around me. "Let's look on the bright side. You'll get to be with Steff in New York."

"I know." I sigh. "It's just I thought they'd like my Essay. And I had a good recommendation letter and everything."

She runs a soothing hand up and down my back.

"I know, sweetie. But it's for the best. And I'll admit, I'm happier having you closer to home. You're more of an East Coast girl anyway. Less 90210 more Gossip Girl." She says, and I chuckle.

"I guess so."

She smiles at me and gets up.

"You need to give your father a call about the Wedding."