Ice-cream and Dopamine

~Heavy thoughts when it gets late, put me in a fragile state. I wish I wasn't going home, dealing with it on my own~ Lany.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Malibu Nights' by Lany.

°°

Rainey

Ansel parks up at the curb to my house, and I unsnap my seatbelt while I offer him a grateful smile.

"Thanks for taking me home."

His eyes look a darker shade of blue in the dark, the yellow streetlights barely illuminating only half of his face. I can still see the smile on his lips as he nods his head. "You're welcome."

I grip the handle on the door as he begins to unsnap his seatbelt. "Wait, I'll take you up," he quickly offers.

He opens his door and gets around to my side of the car. He takes my hand and helps me out, and before I can comprehend what's happening, he sweeps an arm under my legs and lifts me into his arms. I am surprised at the sudden gesture, but automatically lace my arms around his neck, deciding not to protest. It's much too cold out here.

He bumps the car door close with his knee, then proceeds to carry me up the steps to my door. I feel like a light feather in his arms as he holds me close to his torso.

I open my clutch and slip the house key from inside, sticking it into the lock while Ansel uses his shoulder to thrust the door open.

The house is dark, only the moon dispatching silver beams through the transparent windows. I don't bother to turn the lights on since I don't want Ansel bearing my heavyweight for too long.

He climbs the steps, his breathing still regular as if he's carrying a newborn baby. I do the same procedure to unlock my room door, and he takes me inside and gently puts me to sit against my bed.

My room is a lot darker than my living room, mainly because the drip edge of my rooftop blocks the moonlight from seeping through my window.

I peer up at him, and he looks back at me from where he stands just a few feet away. He has helped me so much tonight, and I don't know how to repay the favor.

"Thanks." I smile awkwardly.

He nods his head, then for some strange reason we weirdly stare at each other. No words leave our mouths, just eye-contact, and silence. Although the room is dark, I can see his eyes twinkling with such sheer affection, and it causes butterflies to dance around in my stomach. The sight is so blinding that I swallow hard and hastily switch my night lamp on.

The dark was giving off an intensely bizarre vibe, and I can tell Ansel could feel it too.

"Uh...I should get changed or I'll catch a cold—" I jump up but immediately wince as a pain shoots through my ankle.

"Woah, be careful, Rain." Ansel moves closer to me as I plop back onto my bed, holding the spot with a pained face.

"Something's wrong with it."

"Let me see." He sits down next to me and gently grips my leg, placing it into his lap. An action such as this would normally make me skittish but the throbbing pain in my foot provides some amount of distraction.