8) Wounded

Please and leave feedback on every chapter if you want more. ;)

This song = Omertà

* * *

“You running from someone, honey?” an unfamiliar voice asked, the cold metal of a gun sliding down the base of my neck. Drops of sweat bubbled on my forehead, traveling down my nose and past the corner of my mouth.

I had my chance to find help when I left the restaurant, but there was nobody on the streets and I was too concerned that he would shoot me in the open to even think about running into a building. The man was ruthless and psychotic. He made it quite clear he had no problem shooting my brains out in front of others.

“Yes,” I answered the stranger. “Please, don’t shoot me...”

SCARLETT!” Ferro came sprinting down the alleyway with the speed of a thunderbolt, cake-face and all.

He came to a halt about fifteen feet away.

“Orlando?” I watched my crazy neighbor’s anger morph into immediate delight. ‘

 “Ferro?” Suddenly, the coldness of the gun was removed from my neck. My captor walked around me, moving towards Ferro. The stranger who moments before held me at gunpoint had dark brown hair and was a little shorter than Neighbor from Hell.

The two men looked at each other for a moment and then embraced in a constricting hug. Ferro was certainly not the type of guy who hugged often, so this man was surely important to him.

“You bastard! Why didn’t you tell me you were in the city?” Orlando gripped Ferro by both sides of his face, then quickly pulled his hands away, disgusted by the residue on his fingers. “What the fuck is all over you, man? Is that cake? And a gauze pad..?”

 “I was in a fight…at a bakery. It’s a long story.”

“Ah, gotcha.” Orlando knew not to ask questions. He must have known Ferro was in the mafia.

 Ferro happened to lick his lips and looked slightly satisfied at whatever flavor dessert was there. “I live a few blocks from here. Been there for about half a month. It’s a piece of shit building, but there’s nothing suspicious aboout it, so I just made home improvements and it's perfect. My landlord is scared shitless of me, so I’m going to knock down the wall next door and expand my apartment.”

My mouth tightened in an annoyed, thin line.

He was going to knock down my wall.

Ferro clasped Orlando on the shoulder. “Enough about me. How the hell have you been? How’s Katie?”

Orlando rolled his eyes. “She broke up with me…again, but I’m planning on stopping by her apartment tomorrow and making her dinner or something. I told her I have to stay in the business I’m in. It’s the only thing I got going for me, you know?”

“Don’t put yourself down like that. You’re a great guy. Don’t let some bitch lead your own life by the your balls."