《31》

NAIRA'S POV

I was in the garden playing hide and seek with Ahana that the gates opened and Kartik's car came in. Kartik parked his car in the driveway.

"Naira....see daddy is back with Siya", Ahana exclaimed and rushed towards Kartik's car.

But only Kartik came out of the car. He looked at me with a guilty expression. Siya was nowhere. I understood the gravity of the situation and walked towards them.

"Daddy....where's Siya? Is she hiding?", Ahana searched the car for Siya.

"No baby. Siya isn't here", Kartik replied , bending to Ahana's height. I approached them and stood beside Ahana.

"Then where is she?", Ahana asked, her voice becoming sadder as she understood what was going on.

"She's in her boarding school princess", Kartik replied, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Why didn't she come? Won't she attend my birthday party?", Ahana sounded disappointed.

"I'm afraid not, honey", Kartik replied caressing her cheek.

"Why?! Doesn't she like me?", Ahana asked about to cry.

"Oh....its not like that princess. She loves you. She loves you so much. You're her little sister", Kartik cooed her, taking her into his arms.

"Then why isn't she coming?", Ahana asked innocently.

"Because she has a very important test this weekend. So, she couldn't come. But you know what, she has sent many hugs, kisses and tickles to you that I'm gonna give to you on her behalf", Kartik cheered Ahana up and started tickling her.

Ahana started laughing.

"Daddy....stop!", Ahana managed to speak in between her fits of laughter.

Kartik stopped tickling her and kissed all over her face.

"Okay...now go and choose which dress are you gonna wear tomorrow. Nidhi has selected a lot of dresses for you", Kartik said and she walked away but not before hugging Kartik tightly and giving him a sweet peck on his cheeks.

Kartik chuckled and stood up.

"She is exactly like how Siya used to be at her age", Kartik smiled at me.

I smiled back at him and walked closer to him. I looked directly into his eyes.

"Okay....so what really happened? You cooked up a nice story for Ahana but I'm not a kid", I said, waiting for him to speak.

"She didn't want to come", Kartik replied sighing.

"But why?! Its Ahana's birthday....", I said confused.

"That's the reason. It was on Ahana's birthday that she lost her mom. So she doesn't feel like celebrating the day. I know its hard for her. I was foolish to ask her to come. I should've known", he replied walking across the garden and sitting on the bench.

I sat beside him staring at him continuously.

He looked at me.

"What?", he asked.

"Nothing", I replied.

He sighed.

"Okay....there's more to that. Siya doesn't like to stay with Ahana because she thinks that it is because of Ahana that she lost her mom. She thinks that Ahana killed Aanchal. She has this resentment towards her since the day Ahana was born. I've tried so much to clear everything between them but nothing changed. I hate to see my daughters like that", Kartik explained, pain in his voice.