CHAPTER 67: I Promise

VANESSA

I woke up to an alarm that I didn't remember putting.

When I looked up at my phone, it wasn't an alarm but a phone call.

I yawned, picking it up,"Who is this?"

"Morning Nessa!", came a cheerful reply from the other end and I realised that Adrian was no longer beside me.

"Morninggg!", my voice dragged.

"Get dressed and come down quickly. You don't want to be late on your first day, do you?"

"First...oh shit! Right!", I smacked my head remembering that today was the day I had been waiting for forever.

"Looks like someone slept well, huh?", I heard him smirk and could very well imagine the cheeky grin plastered on his face.

I rolled my eyes, heat rushing up to my cheeks. Though I couldn't deny, in the past three days, this was the most peacefully that I had slept.

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes.", I said ignoring his question, which only made him smirk again but before he could say anything further, I cut the call.

I took a shower and got dressed in a pair of checked grey trousers, a plain white shirt. I put on an open, prussian blue blazer and rolled up its sleeves. I blow dryed my hair, which had grown past my shoulders by now and then brushing them in place, I picked up a pair of dark blue wedges. I finally put on some lipstick and eyeliner.

Satisfied with how I looked, I made my way downstairs to the dining hall but to my surprise there was no one there.

I looked at my watch and it was eight. I couldn't be late, right?

"Where is everyone?", I asked a maid.

"Oh sorry madam, I forgot to inform you. The weather is bright today so the breakfast is being served at the rooftop."

Well, looks like even the weather decided to be nice to me on my special day.

I nodded and went upstairs but when I opened the door, I stopped in my tracks.

"CONGRATULATIONS VANESSA!!", everyone cried.

Thank heavens I decided not to put mascara. It would be down my face by now, otherwise.

There was a huge banner saying 'congratulations' hung up on the wall and there were balloons everywhere. On the table was a cake, a delicious looking red velvet cake.

However, it wasn't the arrangements that made me gasp and my eyes well up. It was the people.

The entire Greys family was there, including Matthew who was sitting on a wheelchair but the most unexpected guest was Kate.

"Thank you so much, guys.", I said, tears brimming in my eyes.

For a change, these were happy tears.

I rushed upto Kate and hugged her,"You came!"

"You called me mom, didn't you? It was not just my duty to be here but also my right. My daughter is going to fulfill her dream today.",she wrapped her arms around me.

"So you are not mad at me? That Nate didn't get to fulfill his dream?", I widened my eyes.

"Don't be silly! It's not your fault. Who ever deserved it would get, we all knew that from the start. You deserved it more so you got it. I am proud of you."

"Thank you so much, mom."

"Oh! Don't thank me. You called me mom and I have to live up to that.",she smiled.