05 | a f f a i r

{I} sighed, since Draco was keeping Lily occupied, I figured I could find the accomplice before I went to visit him.

"Hermione!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around her, "Why does it feel like we haven't talked in a while?"

"Well, maybe because we haven't?" she smiled, "How are you?"

"I'm fine, but you—you look really tired," I said, cupping her face so that she couldn't look away. "Oh Merlin, look at these dark circles!"

"Homework." she glanced away.

"Really?" I said, sending her a teasing look, "Is it just homework, or is it someone else?" I nodded at Ron.

She flushed immediately, "No!"

"I have to say, I thought you and my brother were a pretty good match." I shrugged.

"Please. As if I have time for boys right now." Hermione rolled her eyes, smirking, "And your taste in men seems to be pale boys with blonde hair? With a touch of pretentiousness."

"Stop!" I laughed as she giggled alongside me, "That's why I like you so much! Boys don't deserve you. You're too good for them." I said, giving her another squeeze. It was true, she was one of the most admirable people I knew, "Anyway, I was wondering if you knew any Gryffindors particularly close with a Slytherin? Or anyone close to Lily."

"Why? Is she bothering you again?" Hermione asked, her eyes filled with worry.

"No, no. Just wondering."

"Well," Hermione said, seemingly deep in thought, "I guess not many Gryffindors are friends with Slytherins, but I have seen Lily and Daphne talking."

"Daphne? Daphne Greengrass?" I frowned, Daphne would never do something like that. She was sometimes a bit annoying, but she would never stoop down to Lily's level. "Thanks." I waved to Hermione as we parted ways.

"Wait—Hermione," I said, "I've seen you with Ron in the hallways and stuff. And you do seem to be really tired."

She opened her mouth to defend herself, but I continued, "I know Ron and Harry are good friends. But, they are pretty stupid sometimes. So if you need someone to talk to, I'm always here."

She smiled, "Thanks, Lexi. I'll see you at dinner?"

"Yeah. See you." Ron and Hermione did seem to be going through a rough patch, but maybe Ron was just the type of person who lashed out at people he cared about? I sighed, time to talk to Daphne.

"Pansyyyyyyy." I called, "Do me a favor, would you?"

---

I found Daphne in the library reading, and I whispered, "Oi! Greengrass!"

"Lexi?" she asked confused, since we never really talked outside of class.

"Hiii," I said, taking a seat next to her, "I'm in desperate need of advice. Everyone told me that I should go talk to you."

"Really?"

"Yeah! I don't really know what to do after what happened this morning," I sighed pitifully, "I can't believe Draco sided with Lily."

"I knew it! You have a crush on Draco don't you?" Daphne squealed, then covered her mouth as the librarian shushed her.

"Yea-wait what?" I halted mid-sentence.

"We all knew since we were first years! You guys look so good together!"

"Thanks?"

She groaned, "And then that Gryffindor scum ruined it. You know, I did tell her to back off once—girls gotta stick together" she elbowed me playfully, "—but she was spouting some nonsense crap about how I was bullying her?"

It's not her.

"That's tough." I laughed, then looked sullenly at the floor, "The thing is, I think she's spreading rumors about me... especially to the Slytherin. Have you seen her talk to anyone?"

"Well..." Daphne thought, "When I went to talk to her, she was with a second-year Slytherin and a Ravenclaw."

"Do you remember her name?"

"Why? Are you going to take Draco back?" Daphne exclaimed, "Didn't know you had it in you."

"Well, it's not like Draco was mine to begin with—" I trailed off, as an idea popped into my head, "Yes, I'm taking him back."

"Good for you. Her name was Sophie, but I don't remember her last name."

"Thanks," I said, "I owe you one."

Daphne nodded and got back to her book.

I briskly walked to the infirmary with new information and a new idea.

I peeked my head through the door to make sure Lily wasn't still around and rushed to see Draco. He was in a cast and smiled crookedly when he saw me.

Then everything I'd been holding back since that morning came rushing back.

"You absolute moron! What were you thinking?" I said, giving him a good whack on the head.

"Ow! That hurt more than that brute!" he muttered, "What was that for? I was just following the plan!"

"Yeah, but I didn't mean let yourself get attacked by a hippogriff! You could have died!" I cried, the sheer stupidity of it all crashing onto me. "You know what, I have a new idea that you need to hear. Meet me in the common room after 11."

"Ooh. Malfoy and Potter, meeting late at night?" Blaise announced walking through the doorway, "I'm jealous. Can I come?"

Pansy was just behind him, "How did it go with Greengrass?"

"What about Astoria?" Blaise whipped around at Pansy, then looked over to me.

"Not Astoria, you moron, Daphne!" Pansy rolled her eyes, "Potter asked me to set them up."

"Wait, Astoria has a sister?" Blaise asked, "Huh."

"You're making a move on a first-year?" Draco said, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe." Blaise shrugged, "But now I hear she has a sister?"

"Shut it, you git!" I said, throwing a pillow at his face.

"Ah. Potter in her naturally violent state." Blaise sighed, "But seriously, what's going on? Especially with the red-haired chick."

"Yeah, Malfoy. Why'd you tell Lexi off?" Pansy asked, "Do you have the hots for Cawthrone?"

"As if!" Draco looked so offended he could faint. "You guys—you guys really think of me that lowly?"

Blaise gasped, pointing accusingly at Draco and me, "Is this a secret affair?"

"No, you daft cow!" Draco said, looking at me to back him up when I stood there silent.

"Is it believable?" I asked finally.

"Huh?" Blaise said.

"If I told you that Draco and I had been going out for a while now, would you believe that?" I repeated.

"P-Potter?" Draco malfunctioned as Blaise's head seemed swirl.

"Wait. Waitwaitwait. Are you telling me... behind our backs... you and Malfoy... what?"

"Merlin, you idiots! I'm just asking if it's believable!" I threw my hands up in the air in defeat. It seemed as if I had fried the boys' brains.

"Yeah, actually." Pansy responded, after being quiet, "I'd believe it. The tension between you two is astounding."

"All of you. Meet me at the common rooms after 11?" I asked, checking the clock, "Draco and I are going to be late for detention."