Chapter 3

The hobbits slept in the beds while Farren and Aragorn looked out the window. They felt the Ringwraiths before they heard them. Cold fear spread through the inn, but no sound. They were in the hobbits' room. Their old one. Their screams of anger split the air, the hobbits jolting awake. Apart from Frodo who leant at the end of the beds watching the siblings by the window. He asked quietly what the Ringwraiths were.

"They were once men, great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave them nine rings of power, blinded by their greed they took them without question, one by one they fell into darkness, now they are his slaves" Aragorn said

"The Nazgul. The Ringwraiths' Farren supplied, 'Neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the ring, drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you". Frodo shifted closer to her.

They listened to the Nazgul leave, heat slowly returning to Bree. An hour afterwards when they were sure the Nazgul had left, Aragorn rose the hobbits, they quietly crept downstairs. Aragorn and Farren led the way, Barleman nodded at them, tears still trickled down his face, fear still shook his old body. He gave them provisions, which the Hobbits packed.

Farren meanwhile ventured outside, securing them a horse from a wicked master. When Sam saw the horse, he named him Bill, loading their packs onto the now named 'Bill'. As much as Farren disliked the idea of a horse, she knew it was necessary, the Hobbits could not carry their packs and luggage as she and Aragorn could.

Her brother led them out of Bree keeping off the roads before dawn had even risen, they were far from Bree. She stayed at the back, watching their rear. 'Where are you taking us?' Frodo finally asked.

"Into the wild" was her brother's ever so helpful reply.

"How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?" Merry growled to Frodo, loud enough for Farren to hear as she trailed silently behind the hobbits. The hobbits assumed she was scouting ahead like Aragorn had told her an hour ago while giving her a look that said otherwise.

"I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and feel fouler" she could see in her mind's eye  Aragorn's raised eyebrow; they were loud enough for both rangers to hear their conversation. "You seem to trust the woman"

"Yea well she IS fair and much kinder than this Strider"

"We have no choice but to trust them"

"Then where are they leading us?"

"To Rivendell Master Gamgee. To the House of Elrond"

Sam whispered eagerly about seeing elves and Farren had to contain her laugh. He was very excited, oh the tales she could tell Samwise Gamgee, especially concerning a certain blonde-haired Princeling.

The sun had fully risen when the hobbits suddenly stopped. Farren exchanged a looked with her brother as he turned back, and she stepped out of the trees silently. 'Gentlemen we do not stop till nightfall'. It was only because she knew him that she heard the undertones of annoyance in his polite voice.

"What about breakfast?" Pippen said indignantly.

"You've already had it"

"We've had one yes. But what about second breakfast?", he said triumphantly. This time Farren couldn't help herself, she let out a soft laugh which drew the four hobbits attention. Merry smiled more, looking proud of himself. Aragorn turned away and kept walking up the hill.

"I don't think he knows about second breakfast Pip" Merry whispered, as they started moving again.

"What about elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" he stumbled after his friend looking morbidly worried at Aragorn's sanity.

"Definitely not" Farren smiled before Merry could reply, "Come along". An apple flew over a bush into Merry's hands, he patted Pippen's shoulder starting up the hill. A second apple hit him on the head, and Merry's annoyed exclamation jolted him forward.

Farren quickened her pace to align with Aragorn's. "You like them. I haven't seen you this soft for years. Not after..." was his greeting.

"DON'T say his name" she hissed defensively, "Hobbits are sweet, they bring out the mother in me' her voice dropped to a teasing tone, but her chest still felt tight. Aragorn looked at her, 'I'm not the only one that can act as a parent to them Aragorn. Scaring them won't help us" she chided. He smiled at her, muttering he would try.

But his words left a stone in her stomach, how would the hobbits react when they saw just how aggressive and violent, she was in battle? She was like Aragorn in many ways, the calm demeanour, cool temper but in battle, she loved the thrill of adrenaline, it clouded her thought made her giddy with fear and elation. That part of her had got herself into many difficulties over the years, strength but also a weakness.

"Miss Epona?" Frodo's voice called to her, he was looking up at her, worry etched on his face. She had stopped moving, falling behind the rest.

"I am fine Master Baggins" she took the young hobbit's hand and together they followed Aragorn across the wild terrain, Farren keeping a watchful eye behind them for the Nazgul. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hobbits struggled through Midgewater marshes, Farren's feet had frozen. The sounds of the hobbits grumbles and complaints mingled with the splash of their feet. Sam tipped forward falling face-first into the marsh. Farren pulled the poor hobbit to his feet, "Come Sam" she encouraged pulling him forward.

The rain wasn't helping their morale but it was covering their tracks. Aragorn pulled Farren's arm, his eyes looking over her face for a brief moment. Just because the hobbits were their charges did not mean that he stopped looking out for her, she threw him a reassuring smile, clapping on the back before striding ahead of him.

"Come Frodo" she said, pulling the hobbit to his feet ahead of Aragorn. She kept a steadying hand on his and Sam's shoulders. Aragorn stepped up behind Merry and Pippen to do the same.

"Why do they get the nice one?" Pippen complained,

"Because you too cause more trouble" Aragorn answered roughly, yet his hands were firm but gentle on their shoulders.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Thank you so much for 100 reads! This book has been soo far to write so far and all your comments are so lovely and supportive, thank you for making me smile!

Anyway, this chapter was SO fun to write, I love writing about the relationship between Farren and the Hobbits as well as the sibling's relationship, no brother-sister relationship is perfect but they always love each other. Normalising realistic relationship in literature!!

The next update will probably be tomorrow! Two-day streak!

Wren