FOUR

LITTLE TALKS // OF MONSTERS AND MEN

THE FAMILY BUSINESS

THE IMPALA'S engine cuts as Sam and Campbell exit the car. "You guys got room for one more," Campbell hums as she throws her bag over her shoulder. 

"Who are these guys," the man on Hailey's right asks. Must be their guide, Campbell mentally notes. 

"Well, Roy, apparently this is all the park service could muster up for a search and rescue," Hailey looks from the man to Dean as he finally steps out of the vehicle. 

"You're rangers?" Roy scoffs. 

"Yes, sir, that's right," Campbell beams. 

"And you're hiking out in biker boots and jeans?" Hailey puts her hands on her hips as she takes Dean's apparel in. Unlike his siblings, Dean's still in his normal, everyday attire. Sam's in a lighter shirt, but still jeans. Campbell's got on her running shorts and a USC t-shirt, her hair pulled into a tight ponytail. She had teased Dean that morning when she was lacing up her boots, but he just waved her off.

The youngest Winchesters stifle a laugh. 

"Well, sweetheart, I don't do shorts." Dean starts for the trailhead where Sam and Campbell are waiting. 

"What, you think this is funny?" Roy starts again, "this is dangerous backcountry we're talking." 

"Believe me, I know how dangerous it can be," Dean calls back to him. 

"Way to make friends, De," Campbell hums as the oldest brother approaches them.

"Shaddup." 

"Roy," Dean sighs, "you said you hunt?"

"Yup."

"Well, what kind of furry creatures do you hunt?"

"Mostly elk, sometimes bear."

"Tell me, do they ever hunt you back?"

Roy whips around and grabs Dean by the collar. The group stops and stares in awe. Campbell and Sam tense, unsure about Roy's intended actions. 

"What you doing, Roy?" Dean huffs. 

Roy lets go of Dean abruptly and reaches down for a stick. He lifts it, smiling at Dean, and then stabs it into the ground. Out of nowhere, a steel claw clasps around the stick, breaking it in two. Beartrap. Hailey and Ben jump, Sam and Campbell don't even flinch.