twenty-second: falling

I gazed at the unfamiliar ceiling as Rosalie sidled closer to me, my mind wandering again and again to the previous night. The way he had touched me. The way he had kissed me. Had he almost confessed? I wasn't sure. Did he have anything to confess at all?

"Mason," she spoke. "I've been meaning to tell you, I'll be going out for a few days next week. Just for relaxing"

I was quiet, waiting for her to continue. When she didn't however, I prompted, "When will you return?"

She buried her face in my neck. "Tuesday I guess."

We lay quietly for a while. "What date is that?"

"The seventeenth," her muffled voice answered. 

My heart jolted. There was just another week left for my deadline. I suddenly felt stranded, like I was missing some major link that was otherwise glaring at me. 

She propped herself on her elbow and planted a kiss on the tip of my nose. I turned to face her.

"I'm gonna go take a shower," she said, leaning in and nuzzling my neck as she whispered against my skin. "Would you like to join me?"

She stroked her finger down my face, her lips parted breathlessly.

My mind wandered. Grayson's lips were the colour of pink meadowsweet. I remembered how they glistened when I kissed him.

I gazed quietly at her, biting my lip. "I'm really...tired, Rose."

She sighed softly and kissed my cheek. "Alright. Rest."

She gave me a swift smile and walked towards the bathroom. I sighed in relief and gazed up at the ceiling. I knew that Rosalie genuinely liked me. Part of me felt guilty. But it was my job. I didn't have a choice. I turned to my side and fished out my phone. Without quite planning it, I decided to text Gray.

Xavier: I miss you so much.

He didn't respond. I gazed at the screen nervously. Waiting.

Xavier: Can you call me

Nothing.

I sighed in frustration. Grayson's actions made no sense to me. One moment he would pull me in, another he would ghost me like an ex. I was bewildered. I gazed at the screen and after swallowing my non-existent ego, texted him again. The more he remained unresponsive, the more I yearned for him.

Xavier: pls. imu.

Why was I so shameless with him? Like I had no ego whatsoever.

My heart skipped in my throat as my phone vibrated with an alert. I sat up straight, intently gazing at the screen. Waiting for his name.

Error. Message not delivered.

My chest felt suddenly frozen. I gazed at the letters. I checked the number, my network. Everything seemed to be working. I dropped a message to Scarlett to make sure it was delivered.

Xavier: hey scar, whatsup?
delivered5:32 pm

The phone buzzed with an almost immediate response.

Scarlett: nm. existing. u?

My heart raced, my breathing shallow as I typed in a message to him again.