22

WITH A PROMPT move, Reggie discarded the used needle and snaked his arms around Newt. A blink later, Newt was laying limply on Reggie's back.

Frankie knew that they couldn't waste anymore time in here. She scrambled over to take Newt's abandoned Launcher and shot it to a Crank —one who had Thomas pinned underneath him.

The Crank fell screaming to the ground, writhing, and Frankie said threateningly, "Let us go, or else."

She motioned for Reggie to go, and he did, with Newt securely carried. When she saw that every one of her friends was up on their feet, she stepped back slowly with her finger still placed readily on the trigger. Then she turned around and broke into a run, as fast as a girl in an orthosis could.

There was no sign of the guards who'd escorted them there, but there were even more Cranks than when they'd entered the bowling alley. And most of them seemed to be waiting for the newcomers. Frankie tried her best to keep up with her friends and ignore the intensifying jeers around.

Thomas ran as he held Brenda's hand, whipping his head back every once in a while. Jorge, Reggie, and Newt were far in front of them.

And Newt.

The plan of 'talk to him nicely, get him out, then tell him about the cure' had gone down the drain, but they had Newt now.

Good job, Reg.

Minho had his hand on the small of her back, pushing her forward slightly. Frankie still had the Launcher in her hands.

It was probably the only thing that kept those Cranks from murdering them right now.

"Behind you!" Thomas called out suddenly, frantic, "Minho! Frankie, behind you!"

Frankie looked over her shoulder and saw a cluster of Gone Cranks chasing them. At least a dozen. Between them were their two guards, now without the safety of their Launchers.

"Run!" Stan yelled, "Run!"

"Don't stop!" Not-Stan added. The two of them suddenly peeled off in another direction.

"Shuck," Frankie cussed, pushing her log-like foot forward. She kept her eyes glued to her destinations, now visible: the gate, then straight to the Berg.

Logically speaking, she knew she was slowing them down. Especially Minho, but she knew he would kill her if she so much as suggested for him to go on without her. She would, if their position was reversed.

So she halted, turned around, and jogged backwards as she emptied the Launcher's ammunition. Some of their pursuers were hit, blocking the way and slowing the group down.

When it was empty, she threw the Launcher carelessly onto the ground. With less weight to carry, she could limp faster.

"They can't catch us," Minho said, not only for her but for all to hear, "Keep going, we're almost there!"