23

ON THE MORNING of the second day after their run-in with the Crank Palace's inhabitants, Frankie showered, then joined the others for a quick meal of canned tuna sandwich.

"I was on the waiting line. Really! I wanted to buy you the most delicious sandwich ever created on Earth, plus a latte," Minho said to Frankie, "Ask Reggie and Jorge!"

Jorge replied, "Let me rephrase that, hermano. You wanted me to buy her the most delicious sandwich ever created on Earth, plus a latte."

"Isn't your magic card WICKED's?"

"I work my ass off for the money in this card."

"Life is not just about saving money, Jorge," Reggie said, munching, "It's about enjoying it, too."

"The food you're eating, that's my money you're enjoying."

"Well. Sharing is caring, right?" Reggie grinned.

As she took a bite on her layers of soggy bread, cold fish, and another soggy bread, Frankie noticed that Thomas and Brenda were continuously sending looks to one another.

Newt's rabid anger was gone, but he was still pissed for being carried back here against his will, and he made that very clear by having a massive fight with Minho's snarky mouth after he woke up. Now the two were awfully quiet to one another, and Frankie was currently sitting between them, so she needed a distraction from the uncomfortable, cold vibe around her. She settled with watching the two lovebirds' secretive interaction.

When their meals were nearly done, Brenda finally realized that they had been caught.

"What— What is it, France?" She said to Frankie with reddened cheeks.

Frankie just blinked with a knowing smile, "Nothing."

Brenda cleared her throat, "Let's get ready

Brenda cleared her throat, "Let's get ready. We better move soon. And there's a detector at the entrance, so you can't bring anything metal with you. Just dump your stash of knife, scissors, needles, or whatever in the Berg."

"Bren, my whole leg's metal."

Brenda paused, "We'll talk them into it."

Then she scurried away, clearly still abashed.

Frankie smiled at Thomas before she left the dining table as well.

"So..." Minho caught up to her and fell into her pace as they walked towards the sleeping quarter, "I was thinking. When we got to Denver... Sandwich shop, coffee, just us two?"

Frankie tried to suppress her smile, but she failed. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Well, it's just—" Minho ran his fingers through his hair, "Do you remember the last time we actually have fun together and talk?"

"We talk—"

"Without other shanks goggling and listening in? Or when the topic is not what are we going to do after this? What's next? Are you okay? Because I do, and that's back in the Glade."