[10] Answer

Over time, you and Iwaizumi had grown much closer to each other, always walking back together and having lunch together, although Oikawa often joined in and disrupted your talks, but you both didn't mind it too much. You were both grateful enough to have about 25 minutes together everyday during the walk back home.

"So, Iwa-chan," Oikawa asked one day in the clubroom, "when are you going to grow a pair and ask (y/n) out?"

"What?" Iwaizumi yelled at Oikawa. It was first in rage, but after a while, he calmed down and really thought about his words. He sighed, "I don't want to ruin anything."

Oikawa rolled his eyes, "Don't be such a wimp!"

Iwaizumi threw a volleyball to the back of his head, causing Oikawa to cry out in pain. "So mean~!"

He slung his bag on his shoulder, "Enough. Don't get hurt before our practice match or I'll beat you up."

Oikawa scolded, "You're so heartless, Iwa-chan!"

As Iwaizumi was about to leave, Oikawa stopped him one last time. "Just so you know, she's starting to attract a lot of attention. It's only a matter of time before someone else asks her out."

Iwaizumi's eyes widened. He wondered about the possibility but brushed it off. He hoped that Oikawa wasn't right.

He walked towards the school gate where you two would usually meet before walking back together, but this time, he noticed you beyond the gate, with another boy. He stopped in his tracks and waited, hiding behind the entrance so you wouldn't see him as he eavesdropped on your conversation.

"You were really impressive today," the boy said.

Iwaizumi knew who this boy was. It was Terushima Yuuji, the vice captain of the track & field team and Aoba Johsai's number one player. He continued to hear what else he was saying.

"Listen, I've been meaning to ask you this for awhile now," Terushima said, looking down on the pavement.

You asked, "What is it?"

"Well, (l/n)-san, would you like to go out with me this Saturday?"

Your eyes widened at the statement. Iwaizumi, who was still in hiding, clenched his fists harder before cursing his friend. Damn you, Shittykawa! Why'd you have to jinx it?

You tucked your hair behind your ear before picking your words carefully. But the answer was simple. You didn't have to give it much thought. "No."

Iwaizumi could feel himself bursting in happiness, a smile curving his lips.

"No? Oh are you busy Saturday? We can do some other time," Terushima asked hopefully.

"No. As in, I don't want to go out with you."

"Oh," Terushima was somewhat baffled. He had never been rejected before. It was a strange feeling. He asked, "May I ask why?"

"I, um," you began, biting your lip, "I kind of like someone else."

Iwaizumi's eyes widened, and like that he felt his heart break just a little bit. She likes someone else. He sighed hopelessly, until he heard his name.

Terushima asked, "Is it Iwaizumi?"

You blushed, hard, wondering how to answer the question, but you didn't have to. Terushima sighed, "You know what, it doesn't matter. Thanks for being honest. I'll see you next club meeting." Then, he left.

Does she...like me? Iwaizumi pondered long and hard, blanking out as he stood still and silent, unsure what to make of the situation.

"How much of that did you hear?" you ask, eyeing him.