𝒊𝒗. a face in a crowd

✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ
[ iv. four ! ]
❛ ᴀ ғᴀᴄᴇ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴄʀᴏᴡᴅ ❜

          HAD TARA BEEN AWARE OF the fact that she would end up cramped between two of her former Erudite Transfers, she would have rather thrown herself down the Chasm

But there she was, shoulders grazing against theirs every now and then, her legs folded underneath the table to keep them from jumping up and down in annoyance. Their legs seemed to take up more room than necessary (because they were boys), and had she been in the mood, Tara would have pushed hers against theirs, fighting for dominance.

Others would often refer to her as 'antisocial', but she liked to believe they lived in an unfriendly culture. If you took the average person walking down the street, chances are they will look miserable. Then, as her eyes glance around the faces at her table, she realized that suddenly their happy masks are on. They have become animated, like some garnish zombie corpse, smiling and laughing when the timing was right. Tara believed that they live in an honest world, where they could show their true emotions and for that to be okay (not that she ever did that though, unless they were negative).

And as she sat there, poking at her food whilst the others babbled like chickens around her, she was looking just as annoyed as she felt: eyebrows hunched low on her face, jaw slightly tense.

The Dauntless cafeteria was scattered with people clad in black, the range of ages and ethnicities painting the Faction with diversity. Orange stripes of light were grazed along the stone walls, a second floor creating a balcony over the first; metal railings along the edges. The sounds of cutlery clinking together and voices overpowering each other were almost louder than the music which played in the background, a soft beat.

Tara scanned the people who had joined her at the table, sighing that she wouldn't get a quiet moment for herself. The ones closest to her were the Abnegation girl and her dark-skinned Candor friend Christina who couldn't keep her mouth shut. Opposite of them sat another tall boy with brown hair, and another former Erudite. Tara was cramped in between him and Benjamin who sat to her left. Next to him sat the short-haired girl from the train who seemed to be in a deep conversation with Adrian across from her.

But one person stood out. He sat in front of Tara in silence, minding his own business, and (like she had done) sighed for himself that he had ended up at the table with the obnoxious Transfers.

She pressed her shoulder unnecessarily hard against Benjamin's, still not over the fact that he had told her to 'scoot in', forcing her to end up across from Four, when she had previously sat alone at the corner of the table. She knew his motives were only out of spite, but also knew that she would have done the same thing if the roles were switched.

Their blatant conversation about hamburgers and their former Factions didn't spike her interest, annoyance streaming over her every time Benjamin leaned over her to join in on what the others were saying. She keeps her gaze trailed on her plate, until silence cast over them as their eyes were glued to her frame. She chewed her food and looked up at them, having missed the question she had been asked.