The Warning Shot

Warning, mild language, some angst, possible triggers

He heard the click of a gun and immediately knew there was somebody on that rooftop garden.

Red Hood jumped, landing softly on a roof overlooking the one with the sniper, eyes scanning the area for any sign of the possible target. He then looked over to the sniper, a man clad in black between the tomatoes and the radishes, aiming his rifle towards the deserted sidewalk.

Was he planning on killing a thug? 

If so, then Red Hood would be more than happy to let him proceed. 

But something told Jason that this man meant harm towards someone unworthy of it. His gut twisted as he tried to turn away, and he sighed to himself, perching on the edge of the roof just out of the sniper's sight, but within earshot of both the street and the sniper. 

The black-clad man spoke into his wrist. "Get in position."

So there was more than one man for this hit. Jason noticed a slight change in the shadows in one of the dusky alleyways, and knew that there at least four men in there, ready to ambush the victim. 

The only places the victim could come from were the cafe across the street, which only had like a dozen people inside of it, the pub down the road or she/he was in a car. Nobody was stupid enough to walk down a dim deserted road all by themselves at late night.

Jason watched as the sniper prepared a sort of deadly-sharp, metal-piercing dart full of this weird blackish liquid, which most likely was some sort of poison. He was only one rooftop away from him, so he'd be ready to kick the gun out of his hands in an instant if the victim wasn't a thug, but he waited to see who it was. Maybe it was someone he knew.

Why does he have a dart rifle? Why not simple bullets?

Maybe he wants the target to suffer.

All those thoughts raced through Jason's head when suddenly a silver motorcyclist raced down the empty road, with a silver hi-tech helmet over her head. She had a lithe form, fit and clearly agile, but the slight ripple of muscle as she switched gear told him that she could be deadly. 

Immediately he thought of the silver-bike lady that Bruce had told him about. This thought threw Jason off, making him hesitate for a second.

That second was all it took for the sniper to fire.

The dart got itself in the woman's shoulder, and she yelped, losing control of her bike. She yanked off her helmet, panting, before yanking it out as fast as she could.

Red Hood immediately recognized the messy head of red-brown hair. Familiarity struck through him, and when the girl turned her head, Jason felt rage and confusion echo through him.

The sniper had shot his sister.

Jason lost it, jumping to the sniper's roof and shooting him. The sound of gunshots was enough to spur the ambushers on, and they jumped out of the shadows, knives in their hands.

Jason jumped down, landing in front of Sevanna, his guns in his hands. 

"Touch her and you die." Jason growled.

They just ignored him, three of the buff ones grabbing him. They fought like tigers, quickly disarming Jason before proceeding to slice and dice him. He, though, met their strikes blow for blow, not caring that he was outnumbered. 

He spotted two other men making their way towards Sevanna, who had a strange predatory look in her eyes. 

That threw him off. Sevy usually had eyes glazed over from alcohol, lust or some other youthful thing.