Chapter 7

Aragorn met her at an alcove, a colonnade before the designated room of the council. He was dressed finely in black and silver, clean and freshly brushed. Farren herself was dressed in a flowing silver gown, her hair bound loosely behind her head, flowing down her back in ripples. Her sword was strapped to her waist, Farren still wasn't happy that she couldn't strap it across her back like normal, the weight missing at her back made her uncomfortable and her sword meant she could not wear her elven dagger.

Aragorn took her hand, leading her down the colonnade. "Promise me you won't react or punch him in the face. Not while we are in public" he whispered to her urgently.

"What on earth are you talking about?" Her brother gave no reply, but round the corner was her answer. In a circle were elves, dwarfs and men along with Gandalf sitting next to Frodo. They looked up at her and Aragorn as they entered, to the men and dwarfs they were merely two rangers.

But her eyes fell on a certain blonde-haired elf who sat among the Silvian elves. His blue eyes widen, he rose from his seat slightly before settling gracefully back into it. To anyone watching it would look as though he was merely adjusting his position.

"Farren!" a dwarf rose as she entered the circle. Gloin looked up at her, a smile on his features. Farren greeted him happily.

"So, this is your son, Gimli?" she asked politely indicating the red-haired dwarf next to him.

"Aye Miss," Gimli said looking up at her with reverence, "I have heard much of you from my father, it is a pleasure to meet such a great warrior" he bowed his head. A soft snort sounded from Legolas' direction behind her, Farren did not turn to look at him.
Only sat next to Aragorn, moving her skirts to make it more comfortable. She pointedly looked anywhere but at the elf Prince, despite feeling his gaze burn into her.

Elrond stood looking around, "Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you've been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it." Aragorn exchanged a look with Legolas, "You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Frodo". Frodo looked up nervously, his gaze locked with Farren's, she nodded smiling, what she hoped looked encouraging.

The small hobbit tentatively placed the ring on the plinth in the centre, before settling back down uncomfortably. All eyes were on the small golden ring, some leaned forward. Farren had been in its presence before, but now every time it was in the open, she felt cold. She shifted backwards in her seat.

"So, it is true," a Gondorian man said, he rose, "In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark but, in the west, a pale light lingered. A voice cried 'Your doom is near at hand. Isildur's Bane is found", Farren closed her eyes at the name of her heritage. He reached forward.

"Boromir!" Elrond yelled, at the same moment, Gandalf leapt to his feet, speaking the black tongue of Mordor. The sky darkened, Elrond held his head, Boromir backed away, Aragorn gripped Farren's hand, while Legolas closed his eyes in pain. "Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris."

"I do not ask your Pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West. The Ring is altogether evil" The old wizard turned away.

'It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor' Boromir was back on his feet, Farren closed her eyes briefly in exasperation, that she hoped did not show on her face. 'Why not use this ring? Long has my father the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!'

"You cannot wield it" Aragorn cut in,

"None of us can" Farren added calmly, "The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master"