Chapter 13 - Final Infiltration

The next day, after all the fighting was over between the Salmonids and the Kamabo Corporation, Rainey, Alex and Maria were left alone in Coral Shores Pastries. It was no surprise that the bakery was gonna be completely empty after the chaos that ensued yesterday, but they decided to go anyway. Rainey was on her phone, checking for any news about these incidents, as well as making sure Tallulah was doing fine with Skip. Alex was silently listening to music on his phone as he held his Squid Plushie close.

Maria never really had anything interesting to do on her phone. Since Murdoch reintroduced himself as her brother not too long ago, a lot has been going on through her mind. She was surprised nobody has noticed yet. Either way, the best entertainment she could get was from whatever was outside the window.
"You're awfully quiet.", Rainey commented, catching Maria's attention as she turned to her friend.
"When am I not?", she asked, making Rainey think for a bit.
"Yeah, you're right. It's just, everything's so...silent today, I really don't know what to do.", Rainey continued as Maria chuckled a bit.
"That makes two of us.", she said as her gaze returned to the window.

As she did, however, she noticed a familiar face walk by. Calder was walking down a path she has never seen him go before. She probably wouldn't have minded in other circumstances, but since today was such a slow day, she really didn't know what else to do. Maria stood up and placed down her apron, part of her uniform, and looked over at Rainey.
"Do you mind if I head out for a sec?", she asked as Rainey scoffed sarcastically.
"You'll probably find something more interesting, so go ahead. You can leave your uniform here, and remember to come back so you can punch out.", Rainey told her as Maria nodded and headed straight to their personal locker room.

A few minutes later, now changed in her usual clothes, Maria went out of the bakery and straight to the path she saw Calder head to. She has never been in this part of Inkopolis before, so this would be a very interesting experience for her. She eventually made it to a small neighborhood. Most of the houses were surprisingly apart from each other. Suddenly, the smell of the ocean breeze hit her face. Was she close to a beach? After a while, she managed to spot Calder approach a small green house atop of a hill. She still remembered that she was told Calder and Ridley were roommates. This was most likely his home before he moved in.

When she got closer, Calder spotted her and frowned a bit in confusion, then chuckled.
"Maria. Hi! What are you doing here?", he asked her.
"Hey. It was a...pretty slow day at the bakery and there really wasn't anything interesting to do. Then I saw you outside and--", Maria explained, but Calder interrupted her.
"So you stalked me?", Calder assumed. Maria gave him a frown.
"What? N-No!", Maria exclaimed as Calder only laughed.
"I'm kidding! You can tag along, if you're really that bored.", he welcomed her as Calder approached the house.

"So, is this your house?", Maria asked, curious.
"Well, yes and no. I used to live here, but it's actually mom's house.", Calder answered as he proceeded to knock on the door. After a while, an old Inkling woman opened the door and smiled brightly as she looked at Calder.
"Oh hello, Calderon! It's so great to see you again.", the woman said as they both hugged each other.
"It's great to see you too, mom. After what happened with the Salmonids, I just had to check on you.", Calder told her sweetly.
"Calderon? That's your name?", Maria asked Calder. He turned to her.
"Surprised?", Calder said as Maria nodded.
"A bit, yeah.", Maria commented as a small giggle escaped her mouth.

"And who might you be? Are you my son's friend?", Calder's mother asked her, catching Maria a bit off guard.
"Y-Yeah. My name is Maria.", she answered her.
"Maria? That's such a fitting name for someone as cute as you.", the woman complemented her as a blush began to form on Maria's face, then began to shy away.
"I-I'm not that cute...", she muttered, embarrassed as the woman giggled.
"I'm sorry if that came out too bluntly. My name is Arabella. Come in!", she continued speaking as Arabella and Calder, who was laughing a bit, walked inside.