Love at First Letter - 6

If someone would please make me a cover for this story I wo uld be very grateful, and I would dedicate a chapter to you.

Love at First Letter

Chapter Six

It's been a long time since I've had a decent night of sleep, my dreams woke me usually with sweat covering my body and my heart wanting to jump through my chest. It's been weeks since I've heard from either my uncle or Brett. Usually the letter came in a couple of days, but three weeks later and nothing. Not a single letter. And it was scaring me. I didn't know anything, except that they weren't missing in action or dead for I would have heard from the officers that deliver those messages. And trust me I knew exactly how that goes.

Johanna and Cara have told me countless times not to worry that they were soldiers and were problem busy with a mission, and I knew they were right. But I couldn't help it, I worried. It kept me up at night, my dreams revisiting the moment the officers pulled up at my house and strolled to my front door, they knocked - three strong, steady knocks - and when I opened the door the tears came.

I just hoped and I prayed that they were just fine. I didn't want to lose my uncle, or my newest pen pal, my newest friend.

My mood was reflective in my writing and everyone's noticed, I was just a quarter of the way through and I refused to write anymore. My editor had gotten my deadline pushed back a month, hoping that I would come out of whatever funk I was in, were her exact words.

I tried writing, about anything, I just closed my eyes and placed my fingers on the keys and began to write whatever I wanted, the first thing that came to mind. But it wasn't working. No matter what I tried to write it always took a turn for the worst. I would kill off someone important, or something terrible would happen to the main  character, or the main  character would be born with some kind of life changing obstacle. Currently I was jotting down ideas for a lead character who was blind. She didn't have a story, no love interest, no entertaining friends or family. She wasn't important, only had a difficult life, nothing to write about. And that was how most of my ideas went, there was no substance behind the characters, no exciting plot, or interesting supporting characters. They were just boring.

Instead of slaving behind the computer I spent most of my time running laps around the park, sometimes switching it up and running around town or the neighborhood. Music would blast through my headphones and I would keep my head down not making eye contact. I would run until I couldn't run anymore before collapsing onto a nearby bench and I wouldn't go home until I have caught my breath and forced myself onto my numb legs.

When I would finally get home, it would be hours later and I would head straight for the shower. Joanna and Cara would be home by now and after eating I would head straight for a nap where I would sleep for a few hours and then sit in front of my laptop for hours on end, well through the night, until I was too exhausted to even keep my eyes open any longer. And then I would go to sleep and the cycle would begin all over again.

That was until the day that Joanna and Cara had had enough. They had both called in sick to work, and waited until I was walking out the door to go for my run before they both looped their arms through one of mine and forced me into the backseat of the car.

"What are you two doing?" I asked them as they both clicked the child lock buttons on either side of the car and hopped into their seats at the front of the car.

"Kidnapping you for the day," Cara told me. "We are sick and tired of you trying to kill yourself. You've barely eaten anything in the last few weeks and we're worried about you."

"But I'm fine, I'm just a little stressed."

"We passed a little stressed two weeks ago, you are on a downward spiral to hell if you don't change it up. You haven't made any progress in your book, that's due in a matter of months. You have to get that done Hazel."