Chapter 9:

Shanika Davis
Savannah Georgia

"Davis lets go." A guard said and I sat up and mugged.

"Why?" I asked.

"you don't ask questions get up and let's go." She said as she unlocked the door, I rolled my eyes and got up and let her cuff me and we walked to a private room which was weird because I wasn't supposed to see Jaxon til tomorrow morning. I walked inside and detective McNeal was sitting grinning if I could I'll slap the shit outta that nigga. I sat down and put my hands down on the table there were cameras everywhere so I'm guessing he's supposed to be interrogating me but who knows with him.

"Ms.Davis." He said as he brought a folder.

"Shanika." I replied.

"I'll stick to what I call you." He said with a dry smile. "you didn't take the deal?" He asked.

"why would I there my family and they haven't done anything wrong." I shrugged.

"Family?" He asked.

"Yes you probably don't know this but family means doing whatever it takes to protect them no matter the cost so if I get twenty years so be it." I shrugged.

"Ms. Davis do you know shay diaz?" He asked.

"Of course she's a good friend of mine." I said while sitting back. He opened a folder and sliding some pictures towards me and I looked at them it looked like Shay but I wasn't certain her face was covered it was blood everywhere like someone murdered her.

"What I think is you were supplying her with drugs and she didn't pay up so you killed her." He shrugged and I shook my head.

"No I would never do that especially to Shay she's my friend." I snapped.

"if she's your friend why would you kill her?"

"she's not dead she's-

"she's what? nobody has seen or heard from her since the trip y'all went to Fiji correct?" He said, I was in complete shock yes I knew he was framing me but even after I declined the deal he's still trying to make me look guilty and for what?

"What are doing?" I asked, he grabbed his phone out of his pocket and clicked on a video and showed it to me it was me on the news my mug shot.

"28 year old Shanika Davis in custody now with three murder charges including the murder of former friend Shay Diaz who has been missing for a month and a half in the state of Georgia homicide is death or life in prison we will keep you updated but as far as we know she is considered dangerous." The news reporter said and he put his phone back in his pocket and tears filled my eyes.

"you sure you don't want to take that deal?"

"Go to hell." I whispered.

"Shanika if you don't take the deal you will be on death row most definitely you'll never be able to see your son again or Q-

"I'm not taking the damn deal, I'd rather die than let you win." I said through clenched teeth and he laughed and stood up while buttoning his jacket.

"Be careful what you wish for." he said while smirking the guard came in and took me back to my cell and I sat on my bed and screamed into the pillow. What have I done? Maybe I should have taken the deal? but the same thing that's happening to me would happen to elijah and the boys the the kids would grow up without a dad because I was being selfish I sat there shaking thinking of everything how the hell I was a gonna get out of this but it all resulted the same way.

I had to take the fall.

there isn't no other possible way for me to get out of this so I just have to accept it even if it's hard at least I know aramis will be taken care of. He'll grow up mad at me but he'll understand as he gets older I'm doing this for him he needs Marquis.

                                              ***

I sat outside on the bench it was our blocks turn to go outside for some fresh air the block I was in the homicide unit they moved me right after my talk with detective McNeal bitch ass. I stayed under the radar didn't talk to anybody just shut my mouth I wish Jaxon would hurry the fuck up so I can tell him what I choose, but my thoughts were soon interrupted when a group of girls walked up to me did I mention the "girls" in here looked like niggas.

"Davis." one said and I nodded.

"We heard what you did and we don't fuck with that." Another said.

"What?" I asked.

"you killed that girl she was your best friend that's some snake shit."

" I didn't kill anybody." I snapped.

"you wanna kill somebody come take a swing at one of us we really on that shit." somebody said, I tried my best to stay calm because what could I do one against what seven? I had no chance I know how shit in the hood work but this was way different.

"Ion want no problems." I said.

"we ain't ask that." A girl with long hair said as she walked up to me and punched me in the jaw then everybody started jumping in kicking cussing punching throwing rocks anything that could possibly hurt me they did that for fifteen minutes until the guards broke it up. I couldn't move everything hurt to much it felt like every bone in my body was crushed, broken and then I was out.

***

I woke up in the prison's doctors office. Everything hurt to bad to move so I just stayed there I got a peek at myself and I didn't even recognize myself.

"Davis your lawyer's coming in here is that okay?" The nurse asked.

"yes." I said weakly. She walked outside and Jaxon came in and he looked at me and quickly shut  the door and rushed beside me.

"what happened?" He asked as he grabbed my hand.

"what does it look like?" I said annoyed.

"I'm so sorry I can get you into strict supervision this isn't okay." Jaxon said as he looked at me as his eyes got teary. Jaxon wasn't ready for this type of case I don't want him to lose himself trying to save me.

"Jaxon listen to me carefully." I said as I pulled him close and he nodded. "I'm gonna take the death penalty." I said and he backed up quickly and shook his head as he wiped his eyes.

"no I can get the judge to bail you out I'll figure-

"It's okay, if I keep fighting there gonna kill me before I even get to my trial just let me do this." I said he grabbed my hand and got on his knees and began crying causing me to cry too Jaxon's still a kid I shouldn't have asked him to be my lawyer I should've known he wouldn't be able to handle it but it's nice knowing he was willing to fight for me.

"What about aramis?" He asked.

"He'll understand as he gets older, he's gonna be hurt for a little bit but I don't want y'all to lie to him tell him the truth that's my only wish." I said.

"Okay and Q?"

"he knows in his heart it's what's right." I said while crying.

"I can't say anything that'll make you change your mind?" He asked and I shook my head and he hugged me tightly and I winced.

"y'all will be okay live life stop fighting when you find Shay tell her I love her and it isn't her fault." I whispered and he nodded.

***
Y'all this is sad I almost like shedded a tear writing this I like shanika's mind set. How do y'all feel about her decision I think she's taking one for the team honestly. Marquis is gonna be hurting. Jaxon might rethink his whole career after this. How do y'all feel about the whole situation? Make sure you comment and vote! 🤩