chapter sixty-three

stubborn   advice

your p.o.v

"Six solo songs..." I murmured under my breath as I started writing down a mini to-do list for myself. "A ballad, and Quartet Night's next group song... Not, too bad? I guess?" With a sigh, I pushed the notebook paper up the desk and rested my head down on my arms. "Nope, it's so totally bad and I'm going to die."

          Kuppuru meowed at me as he jumped to sit on top of the desk beside my arms, Haruka and Tomo-chan out on a date so I'm left being the only person in our dorm room this early evening. Turning my head to the side some, I offered the small black cat a little smile. "Kuppuru, you should consider yourself lucky you don't have to compose eight songs in two weeks." I said with a small laugh. "Or should I start calling you Cecil now instead?"

          Blinking those large emerald green eyes of his, Kuppuru meowed once more before lazily placing a paw on top of my head and running his claws gently through my hair. Rolling my eyes, I nudged the small cat away and stretched as I sat back up. I need to start brainstorming ideas for these eight songs while I have the free time to do so. There's only a little over an hour before I need to meet with my friends in our practice room so I can get their takes on what their solos should sound like and a little after that, Quartet Night is supposed to be coming around to discuss their group song.

          Knowing my friends and my idols, well, it's safe to say that nothing about getting the ten of them together into one room is going to end well but I have no other choice. My friends aren't doing so hot on coming up with lyrics to their debut song and could really use some advice from Quartet Night. Even if Otoya and Syo and a few others insist they don't need the help, it can't hurt to ask for some tips. Then again, Quartet Night isn't exactly the friendliest of groups so who knows, maybe they'll try to walk right back out of the room the second they realize they're going to be stuck in a practice room with a bunch of kids... And even if they don't walk out, who's to say they'll even give good advice?

          Why must everyone be so problematic?

          Kuppuru made himself comfortable beside my little workstation as I started jotting down different song ideas for both my friends and for the Quartet. I didn't bother trying to expand upon any one fleeting thought as I wrote down whatever I came up with first. I should have done all of this earlier while I was sitting through Ryuuya's lecture over lyrical components and whatnot but instead I spent the entire class just staring off out the window and daydreaming. This is what I get for spacing out so much. Now I have to panic scribble down a bunch of random things in hopes that something I write can be used when talking with my friends and with the Quartet.

          The hour I had remaining flew by far quicker than time should have ever allowed. Pushing back my chair and accidentally waking up Kuppuru, I placed the paper ontop of my sticker covered laptop and hurried outside of my dorm room with the black cat hot on my heels. I only managed to write down a couple of ideas for each of my friends and for Quartet Night and there's nothing more I can add. I'm already ten minutes late to meeting up with them in our practice room so I need to hurry before they decide to go off on yet another rescue mission.

          Turning down a different hallway, I didn't bother trying to hide Kuppuru as we hurried up a third flight of stairs. There's so little time before the graduation auditions begin that really, seeing a cat in the school is the least of everyone's worries. Even most of the teachers turn a blind eye to Kuppuru happily trotting along beside me down the hallway as I hold my laptop close to my chest. He's most definitely happy that he no longer has to go sneaking around the place anymore. I'm still trying to figure out just how in the world he's managed to survive in the Academy for so long considering he only ever comes around to my dorm room once a week or so.