Chapter Forty: Ruari

oh wow! 100k views!!! thanks so much everyone, i really appreciate the support. k",)

*  *  *  *  *

What determines life and death is your will to live. This is what I know and what I live by.

I've lived all my life watching life pass me by. I have no ambition or goals. I never had any sort of dream to talk of except for one and it already came true the night Ciaran and I marked each other.

Now I have goals. Ambitions. I have new dreams that I want to see come true.

In short, I finally have a life.

I have something to live for, a future to look forward to. People who're expecting me to survive. I finally have something important I need to protect and a person I want to live a long life with.

I will not die. Not here. Not now.

I eyed Meinor carefully, watching his every move, even taking note of his very breath. Psyching myself for a battle that would determine the future and change hundreds of lives.

Meinor charged at me first. He didn't waste any time and phased to his huge ash grey wolf and lunged aiming for my head and throat.

I spread my legs wide, found my center and planted my feet firmly on the ground. I waited for him to come to me instead of charging forward to meet his advance. And before his claws could reach me I twisted my body to one side, to accommodate his speed, and my hand shot out to grab his neck.

Maybe it was the thrill of the fight or the extreme amount of adrenaline pumping through my veins. I don't how I managed it but once I felt my fingers closed around his throat I pushed back to halt his movements and slammed him hard on the dirt covered ground. Satisfied when I heard the unmistakable sound of bones cracking from the impact.

Meinor let out a loud yelp and stilled for a moment before frantically clawing at me to let him go. I was on a bad angle so I released my hold. I immediately backed away a few steps before phasing.

We danced around each other, scratching and nipping but not really managing to deal the other with a fatal blow. But when we clashed for another row I slipped and missed a stepped, allowing Meinor to slash and break the skin just above my right eye. Blood instantly flowed out the wound creating a blind spot on my dominant side.

He took this as an opportunity to attack me. He bit down on my right shoulder, tearing through the flesh and muscle. He clamped down hard and I could hear my bone cracking from the impact.

The bite is a few centimeters off from being fatal but it would weaken me to a huge degree if I don't pry him loose. I twisted, feeling his fangs sink deeper into my flesh, and dug my claws deeply on his side. The wound I dealt him was on a good spot, cutting through his stomach and would bleed quite a lot as long as he kept fighting.

We broke free from each other once again and this time his defenses are higher and his attacks are becoming more precise, perfectly calculated. If I didn't have my speed and quick wit to help me, I'd be torn to shreds by now.

The next time we clashed we grappled for dominance, biting and clawing, never giving an inch to the other. Meinor is a well-trained warrior and unlike me he's more comfortable fighting in his wolf form. And I know if we continue I'd probably lose this round.

Switch with me! Rothe ordered.

I paused considering the suggestion.

I didn't want Rothe to carry this type of burden again, when he has to fight for my sake because I wasn't strong enough to do it on my own.