Chapter 1: not such a great start

The trailer I made is ⬆️
Song: back to sleep by Chris brown (my favourite song)
It's not exactly what happens but I was bored so.
§

"(Y/N), can you make a vanilla latte for Eleanor?!" April called from the the register.

"I've gotta warm up a muffin for Ted." I said placing the muffin inside the microwave for it to heat up.

"Okay, well, after that?"

"What are you doing?" I asked making my way over to where April was.

"Working register."

"There's no one in line, April."

"But you never know when someone will show up." April said while shutting her phone and placing it inside her jeans pocket.

"I hate you." My sister, April, stuck her tongue out at me as I rolled my eyes with a smile while she just rolled her eyes and made her way over to grab a cookie for her munch on.

The microwave beeped, so I quickly took the chocolate chip muffin out and set it on a plate. I walked it over to one of the tables and gave it to Ted, a 60-or-so-year-old gentleman who was a regular customer at my family's cafe, Bake and Brew.

Most of our customers were regulars. As one of the only bakeries in the neighborhood that had been running successfully for over twenty years, it made sense that we often knew the people who came in by name.

I worked with my sister, April -younger than me by two years- at the cafe every weekday over the summers from 6:00 in the morning when we opened until noon when our cousins clocked in. The bakery was a family business. My mom and aunt did more of the booking and keeping things while my dad and uncle did all the baking. We had been running that way since I was 18, so for about four years. It worked well, and my parents were relieved they didn't need to get down on their hands and knees to convince April and I to keep working, even when we both moved out.

Me and my sister were pretty much my best friend. It wasn't that I didn't have friends in college. It was just that not a lot of them lived in New York like I did. I graduated a month prior, so most of them already moved back to their hometowns. But that was fine by me, because I had April. She had been my right hand (wo)man for my whole life, and when I was with her, I didn't need anyone else.

Except, as she would so often remind me, a boyfriend. I needed a boyfriend. Or at least she said I needed a boyfriend. I didn't think I needed anyone. I was quite content being romantically on my own. No one had sparked my interest in that way since high school, and as long as I had my chocolate, I didn't need a man.

"What about for companionship?" April would always tell me.

"That's what I have you for," I would say back.

"Whatever," she would say with a roll of her eyes. "I'm only gonna break your heart."

I moved out of my parents house as soon as I turned 18, and April moved in with me two years later. We were a dynamic duo, unstoppable by anyone.

The bell above the cafe door jingled just as I was finishing Eleanor's latte. I brought it over to her table while April greeted our customers- two boys I didn't recognize. The first boy was shorter than the second, but not by much. They both had sharp and striking features. The arms of the first boy were more defined than the second, but his eyes weren't as bright. In fact, his whole vibe was darker. Not the clothes he was wearing, but the impression he was giving off. His jaw was more tense, his eyes darting around more suspiciously. The second boy, however, had his eyes locked on April. And he was smiling. I, like the protective sister I was, went to join her at the counter.