Epilogue

Saturday evening, August 29th, 2020

"I swear, do not point that tomato sauce at me again. I will not be as placid as I was when I was ten."

We were all squished into a booth at a cafe in town. Sydney was glaring at Asher, as per usual. He was aiming a tomato sauce bottle at her head after she'd said Cooper was a better mini golf player.

"Placid? I'm pretty sure you lunged at me from across the table when I squirted you at my tenth birthday," Asher raises his eyebrow, grinning.

The sun had just set, the sky turning a bright shade of orange and pink. It was beautiful to see something so bright in the midst of winter.

"That is placid for me," Syd deadpans, pointing a chip at him.

Harry grabs the sauce from Asher's hand, squirting it over his burger.

"Ew," Sydney wrinkles her nose, watching Harry. "You did not seriously just do that, bro."

"What?" Harry places the bottle across the other side of the table, away from Asher. "I've been doing this since I was two."

"But why?" Sydney cringes. "Isn't the sauce inside the burger enough? Why spray it all over a perfectly good bun?"

Asher cackles, throwing a chip into his mouth. "Speaking of buns. I heard this—"

"No," Sydney interjects, holding up her hand. "We don't want to hear one of your puns. Especially when they're about buns. Hey, that rhymes."

"But—"

"I don't think we'll ever have a meal that remains peaceful," Kennedy jokes.

"We wouldn't be us if it was peaceful," Asher nods, throwing a chip at Sydney.

She swats it away and it hits Harry in the face. She stifles a laugh, apologising. I grin at Harry as he sighs, trying to hide his smile. He notices me watching and pulls me closer, kissing my forehead.

"Gah," Sydney rolls her eyes. "Please don't become like Ken and Coop. We already have one mushy couple. Do we need two?"

"I'm just glad you finally made it official," Kennedy grins, taking a bite of her salad. "It's only been, what? Too long?"

I blush, playing with my hands. Harry had asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday. We'd been driving around all night, listening to music. Then when he pulled up out the front of my house he dropped it so casually. I loved it.