21 | Knowing the reason

Telling or facing the truth is painful but not impossible..

I was leaving for college when my phone chimed with an incoming call and to my surprise it was William

I picked the call only to hear his heavy breathing.
“William?”

And then I heard a muffled sobs.

“William what’s wrong? Are you crying?” I ask halting in my track. My voice was loud enough to gain Zayden attention.
He turned around and walked towards me.

“William please tell something. You are scaring me.” I utter with quavered voice. I was almost at the verge of crying. William would never cry over anything which isn’t very serious.

“Harriet it’s aunt —”

What?

“William what are you saying? Where is Aunt?”

“She fell from stairs and lost a lot of blood and… we need blood, we are not to able to find a donor.”

I shuddered listening to him. This can’t be happening.

Seeing me stand like a statue Zayden took my phone and talked with William. I just stood still not knowing how to react. My mind was blank.

Zayden made me sit in the car and started driving. I gazed out of window with millions of thoughts streaming in my head.

“Harriet” Zayden called making me snap out of my trance.

“Huh, what?”

“We have reached.” He answered gesturing at the front. I gaze at the front, we were at the hospital.

I kept following Zayden until we reached OT room. I took a seat on chair while Zayden walked towards William who was on a phone.
Doctors rushed outside asking something to William and Zayden making William bury his face in his palm.

I slowly got up from my seat and walked towards them.
“We need to contact your relatives”

“They need AB negative. I can't find a donar, I already called a few them but —” William trailed off.

“I — I can give my blood…” I mutter making both of them to snap their head at me.

Doctor walked me inside a room, I let my eyes roam around the room only to gulp loudly. Since childhood I have intense fear of needles.

I was made to lay on bed and when the nurse approached me with syringe. My throat went dry while my palms started sweating profusely. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead.

“I need you to calm yourself…” nurse stated holding my arm. She examined my hand searching for vein. When she was about to insert the needle, I held my breath whilst curling my palm.

“Why are you getting so nervous? It’s just a needle. It won’t hurt much.” She said drawing the liquid into syringe.

I nod hesitantly.

“It won’t hurt Angel…” Zayden said holding my hand in his. I heave my eyelids to look at him. He had eyes as open and honest as any child, a warmth and safety. In that moment I found my home.
I sigh in relief, nothing in this world compares to the comfort, affection and security I felt by holding his hand. I was so lost in his deep eyes that I didn’t know when the syringe pierced my skin until the nurse said that it was done.

°°

In the evening William came to me and said Aunt had gained consciousness and she wishes to see me.

I hesitantly knock the door, after I hear a faint come in. I walk inside, she was sitting on bed with tubes connected to her hands.

I reluctantly took steps towards her bed, “Are you feeling okay?” I ask

“Hmm, Have a seat.” She said tapping on the space besides her on bed.

I couldn’t exactly decipher her expression but she didn’t seem angry so I plopped on bed next to her.

“I heard you saved my life…” She started, turning her head she looked at the window and continued, “I am sorry for being rude to you all these years. I was mad, my anger brought the worst in me. I took all my anger on you when you did nothing to me. I —” She trailed off now looking at me with tear filled eyes.

“I treated you like this because you looked so much like her. Like your mother.” She said

I furrowed my brows staring at her in confusion.
“Why do you hate mom?”

“Your mother was my twin… Albeit we were twins, we were opposite to each other. I was an introvert while she was extravert. Everyone loved to be around her. My family, friends everyone loved and cared only about her. I had only one source of happiness and she took that away from you… She separated me from the love of my life — your dad.”

“She — what?” I stammer clearing my throat with my mouth agape, “What are you trying to say?”

“Your dad and I were childhood sweethearts. Your mom studied abroad but when she came back, she got close to your dad and apparently they fell in love with each other, she took my love away from me…” a lone tear escaped her eyes and she wiped it off from back of her hand.

“I am sorry” I utter still processing the information she told me. I now know why aunt treated me like that.

“Don’t be. Its not your fault, it’s destiny. I shouldn’t have treated you so badly but believe me I never had intentions of hurting you, it’s just your face; it reminds me of her and all those miseries I had to face alone. But today by saving my life you proved whatever I did to you is wrong. Life is way more than just revenge. You deserved a happy childhood and I made your childhood nightmare…”She said with tears rolling down her cheeks.

I was numb. I had no words to say.

❤...