Couple Assembly

Thanks for 2k! Hope you enjoy the chapter :)

Don't forget to vote and comment 

"Thank you for turning up for this couple assembly. Today we're going to go over the progress on the couples and answer any questions. Is this okay?"

The speaker from Earth asked the crowd rhetorically. He was the type to ask questions who only he knew the answers to and laughed in the face of those who got it wrong. Not very nice.

A wave of disgruntled agreements swept the room and he smiled contentedly. 

"Fabulous." he clapped his hands together and scanned the rows, lingering on some longer than others, "I have some very exciting news to share with you all. Despite being just one month in, two couples are already expecting a child. Isn't that wonderful?"

Lola's eyebrows raised simultaneously then crashed back down at this announcement.

Some people didn't wait.

"That's right. Can you raise your hands if you are those two couples?"

Four hands slowly raised from the crowd and lingered slightly before slipping back into their laps. Due to the unwillingness of the couples, it was clear that they didn't want the rest of the couples to know what they had been getting up to.

Too late for that.

"I also want to say a little something about a friend of mine."

The sickly smile spreading across his blue face made Egris' insides turn. He had spoked to Fret, the speaker, after the incident in the pod. Ever since then, Fret had constantly been teasing about how slow Lola and he were getting along. As if he could do better.

The way Fret landed his beady eyes on Egris' frame secured the alien's fears. 

"My friend Egris is a romantic at heart ladies and gentlemen, so when I heard that he had taken Lola on a date, I thought this was time to make his move," the speaker then started to wave in the direction of the couple and Lola ducked her head in embarrassment, "But turns out, he all got it wrong! So to make up for it, Captain Nix planned a small little surprise."

The oooo's and awwww's made Lola want to dig a hole and never come back up. Why was he doing this?

"A private couple session. I think it's fair to say they know each other a lot better now."

Egris wanted to wipe away the smug look straight off Frets ugly mug. Couldn't he see how embarrassed Lola was? Her head was practically in her lap and Egris couldn't help himself but run a soothing hand across her back. 

Julie looked on with a gaping expression and Sestru had started to blush again, remembering the moment when he walked in on them. 

"Stop." Egris mouthed, staring directly into Fret's pupils.

"Shall we say they're the cutest couple? Look at them, comforting each other." He cooed, knowing all too well what he was doing.

"I'm warning you." Egris mouthed.

The Xyon population was very good at understanding communication, non-verbal or not. Fret could understand what he was saying yet continued none the less.

Lola shuffled her self closer to the warmth of Egris and hoped his large frame would conceal her blush. Why couldn't that man shut up?

Now everyone in the room knew that something which wasn't PG had happened between the two of them. It was bad enough just having their names spoken out loud, let alone anything vaguely intimate. 

"Come on! A little applause for the couple." Fret pushed and an uproar of raucous clapping ensued. Some people whistled, others shouted well done. 

Egris, feeling the anger bubble and spill inside of him, stood up suddenly and gathered Lola in his arms. Her feet just brushed the top of his boots but Lola couldn't care. If being held by Egris meant that they could leave, she would do it over and over again. 

And he was rather comforting despite his size.

"Know your limits, Fret." Egris condemned the speaker and marched towards the exit doors.

Not only had Fret abashed Egris but Lola. Now the two were a couple, the warrior wouldn't let anyone upset her again. 

He would make it a promise.

xxx

"That was awful." Lola muttered with a hot cup of tea in her hands. 

Egris nodded with a matching cup and stared out of the window in the living room. They had escaped the torment and passive-aggressiveness of the speaker and found comfort in a quiet drink on the sofa.

"Thanks for getting me out." she added quietly.

Egris flitted his eyes to her and offered a meek smile. 

"Don't worry about it. I'll tell Fret when I see him next that it's not okay. He can't shame you like that."

"Yeah and thank you again. It was......nice."

Lola internally cringed at her lame excuse of a compliment. She was still slightly flustered and the thought of having Egris close again was too much for her fizzled brain. 

"He's just trying to wind us up. He does it a lot, don't worry." Egris turned fully towards Lola and put the cup down.

She watched with curious eyes as he stood up and crossed the two-meter divide between the sofas. Lola's heart picked up when he sat down next to her, their knees scandalously brushing. 

"I suppose we have to be more careful now. Have to be somewhere quieter...." He whispered, dragging a lone finger across the plane of Lola's shoulder. 

Egris was using every ounce of knowledge he had gathered from the books about flirting and seducing. He hoped desperately that his words had the same effect.

The shudder rippling along her back confirmed that Egris was at least seducing. 

"And I believe we never finished, don't you?" he purred and looked longly at the curve of Lola's face.

Who knew humans could be so uniquely beautiful.

Her mouth had gone dry and the only sound which came out was an unappealing faint gurgle from her throat.

Nice.

"I'll take that as a yes." He whispered and turned Lola's face with his finger so she was facing him.

And they kissed.

Fully, this time.