Abandoned

Once mum returned home, she shouted and cursed at both Lorenzo and me. There was no hope of having a normal conversation so we just let her say all she had. In my case I understood why she was angry, my relationship was inappropriate. But in Lorenzo's case I didn't. There is nothing wrong with having a different sexuality. That is why I told her that if she was more open minded she wouldn't have to find it out like that.

Also, we learned that she found out about Sage and me through his ex wife. She came by and started swearing at my mother, but since she was clueless his ex explained everything. Then she put the pieces together and realised that Sage was away too. She went on and called Lorenzo asking to speak to me. Obviously I wasn't there, he made up an excuse but she didn't buy it. Then she messaged me...

Lorenzo and I were laying on the carpet next to each other in the attic.

"Should I call Sage?" I asked as we stared at the ceiling.

"Well you two need to talk. But I don't think it's a good idea to do it over the phone." He said.

"So what do you suggest?" We were still looking up.

"Sneak out as usual. Mum doesn't know about that." He replied and I turned my head towards him.

"You can't be serious."

"Violet, you need to talk! And how much worse can it get?!" I laughed in desperation knowing he was right.

-

I texted Sage that I would come by to talk late at night and he agreed to it. So at around 2 am when I was sure that everyone was sleeping I sneaked out. Sage and I hugged as soon as we saw each other. I was afraid of losing him.

"I'm so scared." I murmured into his chest.

"It's okay. Calm down." He stroked my hair.

The manner in which he held me and spoke to me seemed distant. Something was off in his behaviour and I couldn't figure out what. I thought it was probably all the stress caused by my family finding out about us.

"My grandpa seems quite open minded about this, and even my grandma admitted to age-gap relationships being common in her time." I told him once I gathered myself. These were somewhat good news.

"It's your mother who worries me. She feels betrayed." He replied while we sat down at his dining table. I nervously played with my hands.

"I know. She just needs time to accept it." The window was opened causing some draft. And mixed with Sage's odd mood, it gave me goosebumps.

"No Violet, she is right. I did betray her." His answer shook me.

"So what? You're just giving up on us?" I demanded slightly upset with what he said. Or more so, the manner in which he said it.

"I didn't say that. I just don't know what to do." He stared blankly at one spot. It was the first time that I saw him lost and without any control over the situation.

"You sound like you are about to end things." I swallowed trying to keep my tears back.

He didn't reply to it which made it seem even more true. We sat in silence for some time and then I decided to go home. He didn't try to stop me. Perhaps he wanted me to leave but felt bad to tell me.

-

I cried myself to sleep once I got home. I barely slept during the night as I kept on waking up. The headache I had when I woke up was tremendous due to all the crying.

I just laid in bed staring at the ceiling and trying to wake up properly. I shifted my gaze to my bedside table and saw a note on it. I reached for it in confusion and almost immediately recognised Sage's particular handwriting.

"I do love you Violet, more than you think... and that is why I need to let you live a healthy life.

Truly yours,

Sage"

And that is when I found out that he had left...

Only one chapter is left! I am so excited that I managed to write this story till the end and that there are quite a few of you reading it. I wish we interacted more through comments, but maybe on my next book we will. Xo