Chapter 2

If there was one thing I hated more than liars, cheaters, spiders, judgemental people, corrupts, and... well, you know what? I think I hate a lot of things happening in this world. That's really sad. Maybe I'm a certified hater.

But then again I think anyone hates the above mentioned things, well... maybe not if you are one of the above mentioned things. Except that the third of the above mentioned things is not possible because I'm fairly certain that you're not a spider as last I'd heard, spiders couldn't read.

But then again, there are lots of strange things going on around this world so I wouldn't find it weird if I get a text saying hello there! I'm a spider. Just thought to let you know that I can read and write.

Oh who am I kidding?! I'd throw my phone to God knows where and lock myself in a spiderproof place. Which reminds me, I need to look for those things...not the literate spiders..., the spiderproof places. For future references.

Anyways I'm way out of point here. What I mean to say is that one of the things I hate just as much I hate the above mentioned things, if not more, is when people are late. Including myself.

I am the CEO of Eva's and Co., which is a multinational fashion company I built all by myself. Eva's is a renowned brand all over the world and I am proud of it. I'd spent sleepless nights and restless days working for the company to make up to this stage. So I hate any of my employees who do not take their job seriously because this company is everything to me. And one of the thing that shows that my employees are not taking their job seriously is when they are late.

Which is why I was currently trying my best to control my anger in front of the said employee who was 43 minutes late on the day of an important meeting. Leah Brooks had been my personal assistant since 18 months and I think I've been more frustrated in these 18 months than I've been in the entire 26 years of my life.

I didn't want to fire her, not because she was efficient or I had a soft spot for her. It was merely due to the fact that it would take longer to hire a replacement and train him/her. So I'd been enduring her tardiness and lack of professionalism but lately I'd been finding it very hard to do so. Maybe I was really the 'heartless princess' as the tabloids had kindly put it but I didn't care.

I paid my employees well enough than most companies and provided them enough breaks and holidays, and all I wanted in return was their efficiency and dedication. Both of which the individual standing in front of me with sad puppy face lacked clearly.

"So let me hear, what is the reason you've come up with today for your delay, Ms Brooks?" I asked her as calmly as possible. I was a little curious as to hear her excuse because I think she had used the very last of her excuses already.

I recalled our last similar conversation 2 weeks ago where she'd said she met her long lost brother on the way to the office. Apparently they went to a fancy restaurant where they had a nice long talk, catching up on their lost time together but in the end the guy turned out to be a freak who just wanted free food and the company of a beautiful girl as herself, her words, not mine.

So, that being said, you could say I was pretty surprised when she gave a simple excuse of traffic. I sighed and stood up from my desk, making sure I looked her in the eye showing that I was serious when I said, "Okay, you're excused for now as I have an important meeting today. But you'd better take this seriously because this is your last warning. The next time you're late, I suggest you find a job near your apartment so traffic wouldn't make you late because yhe one thing I look for in my employees strictly is punctuality."

"I knew I wasn't the only one."

We were both startled by a deep voice coming from the doorway to my office. I heard Leah's gasp and lifted my eyes, only to suppress the gasp of my own.

There, leaning against my office door in a sleek black suit with both his hands on his pockets was none other than Adrian Stone. The business tycoon, handsome as hell, sexy as sin and the most eligible bachelor of New York as Leah had put it yesterday showing his photos.

I had met him at some charity events and we'd made some small talks here and there but that was it. I had to admit though, he was quite easy on eyes with his dark black hair and electric blue eyes. Once again, who was I kidding? He was a freaking Greek God. He was tall, maybe 6.5"? and had a well built body. I could tell it even from his suit that accentuated his body so well that one would think he was born in that.

A distinct throat clearing jerked me out of my thoughts and I looked up to see the Greek God looking at me with an eyebrow raised and a smirk in the corner of his lips. I felt myself starting to flush from embarrassment on being caught staring at him. So I tried to compose myself.

Clearing my throat awkwardly, I walked to the door and held my hand out to him, "My apologies that you had to hear that, Mr. Stone. I'm Evelyn White, the CEO of Eva's and Co. It's a pleasure meeting you."

I was proud of myself for sounding more confident and composed than I felt. I looked up at him and found him staring at me in amusement. He looked at my outstretched hand and slowly joined his right hand with mine, instantly bringing the tingles rise up my spine.

"It's a pleasure indeed, Ms. White. Although I'm sure the apology was not really needed as what you were saying was totally reasonable. Punctuality is the quality we look in every employee and business partners. It shows how dedicated you are to your job or company. I'm glad we agree on that regard." He said with an eyebrow raised and smugness dripping from his voice.

It was then that he finally realised that he was still holding my hand and released it after squeezing it lightly. I immediately missed the warmth of his touch but tried to ignore it and looked into his eyes, trying not to get drowned in them.

"Of course, Mr. Stone. I'm glad you have the same thoughts about that as well. Which is why I think it would be more fitting that we start our meeting right away if it's alright with you. In the meantime my assistant, Ms. Leah Brooks will show you the conference room with refreshments."

I said, turning my attention to Leah who apparently did not hear a single thing transpired between us. She was still staring at the most eligible bachelor of New York with her jaw hung open and smitten eyes. I hoped I didn't look like that while I was ogling the man before us.

I cleared my throat louder and repeated in a firm voice. "Ms. Brooks!"

Finally that seemed to pull her out of her dreamland with her handsome hunk and she looked at me with a sheepish and flushed expression. I sighed. God, this woman. I tried to be as calm as possible while repeating once again, "Ms. Brooks, can you please show Mr. Stone here to the conference room and prepare for the meeting while I bring my things?"

Luckily she seemed to understand my language since she nodded her head furiously and addressed the man who was still watching our exchange with amusement. "Y-yeah of course. Mr. Stone c-can you please follow me to the conference room?"

"Sure, Ms. Brooks. Lead the way." He said to Leah, but even then he was watching me intently making me slightly uncomfortable with his gaze. I finally released a long breath I didn't realise I had been holding as soon as he exited my office and followed Leah to the conference room.

Sighing, I gathered my laptop and reviewed my PowerPoint once again, making sure nothing was amiss. I made my way to the conference room, mentally picturing the handsome devil there with his domineering presence and intent blue eyes.

The day had just begun and I already wanted it to end.