01 • The Great Escape • 01

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

I am pretty much convinced I thrive on the Sidelines.

There is no better place than away from the spotlight and prying eyes. There's nothing you could say to convince me I'm wrong. I've got it right.

My current situation only proved my theory more. Having tried my bedroom and bathroom doors, I realised my new stepbrothers had locked me in my bedroom. This morning they'd wanted me they were throwing an end-of-summer party tonight while our parents were away for the weekend. But I hadn't anticipated it would lead to them locking me in my room. Situations like this were when being an outsider worked against you — insiders never leave you be when they notice you.

Sighing in frustration, I realised I was going to be late to meet my friends. I had made plans with my best friends — Taylor and Joe — to go to the beach when my stepbrother's told me they were hosting a party. There was no way I would stick around like a fly on the wall at a popular kid's party.

I pulled out my phone from the back pocket of my denim shorts and clicked on Taylor's contact. Within seconds, I heard her bright and cheery voice greeting me through the phone.

"Taylor, I've got a slight problem." I sighed, bringing the phone up to my ear. "My asshole stepbrothers are having a party, and they've locked me in my bedroom."

"Are you being serious?!" Taylor squeaked.

"You've got to get me out of here," I replied, running a hand through my tangled blonde hair. "How long will you be?"

An awkward breathless laugh comes through the phone before I hear Taylor's voice greeting me again. "Funny thing is... we've got a slight problem too."

"Let me guess; it's a problem with Joe's car," I said, the corners of my lips tugging up in amusement. With Joe and his car, problems came hand in hand. "Am I right?"

I chuckle, but my laugh cuts off when I realise they can't let me out of my room if they are stuck trying to get Joe's car to work.

"I'm afraid so. We'll try not to be too long, and then we'll come free you and go to the beach."

"Leaving is what they want me to do," I said, feeling a frown pull at the corners of my lips.

I couldn't just leave after they'd locked me in my room.

"Well, what do you want to do?" Taylor asked.

"I'll figure out a way to get out of my room. Then, when you get here, we're going to their party."

Taylor excitedly agreed and reassured me they'd get here as soon as possible before she hung up.

Feeling alone in my room again, I scrabbled my brain for a way out. I glanced at my window, remembering the key was missing when we moved in. Realising it couldn't be locked, I walk over to the windows and climb onto the window seat.