Here I Am

John wasn't lying when he said there would be a peaky blinder outside all night. Amelia had tried to offer Isiah a drink but he refused so she left him to it. After taking some pain medication she settled back into her bed and thought about how she had got here.

Remembering grabbing Tommy's hand in the dark only made her crave his touch more. Amelia felt weak and vulnerable, she felt alone and her body wasn't quite ready to heal fully. Then she remembered that he had left her alone and she wondered if he had given her what she wanted out of guilt.

Amelia had been attacked because of her association with him. The Italians had assumed that she was Tommy's lover and would give in to their demands if they dangled her life in-front of Tommy.

Amelia pulled the covers up over her face and closed her eyes, settling on her breathing. Embarrassment and guilt made her feel dizzy, even with her eyes closed she remembered begging for her life.

A small sob fell from her lips and she slapped a hand over her mouth to prevent anymore. It didn't help. Amelia cried herself to sleep.

—-
"Miss Crostwell I've been given clear instructions. Ya've got to stay home until you're rested" Isiah begged as he followed Amelia.

Amelia was going to work. Dressed in her usual pretty dress, heals and tailored coat she was ready to work. Even though she could barely walk she decided that the quicker she got to work the better. Knowing that everyone would be aware of what happened to her she was eager to downplay it.

"Well I'm giving you new instructions. Go home Isiah and get some sleep. I'll be at work" and she pushed on, ignoring the sharp pain in her legs.

"Tommy' s gunna' have my head" he sighed as he watched Amelia walk into the surgery.

—-
Amelia ignored the stares of the doctor, Jane and the patients as she pushed straight in and closed her office door. Holding her head high was all she could do. Nothing would bring her down.

"Amelia!" Jane rushed in, concern across her face "you shouldn't be here!"

Amelia knew that Jane will be letting her group of friends know this bit of gossip and tried not to get angry as Janes eyes scanned her bruised jaw and wrists.

"I'm fine Jane. Please don't worry. I'm ready whenever you are" and she raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to argue.

Jane sighed "I'll send the first one through. Just take it easy okay?"

Amelia smiled but it never reached her eyes.

—-

An hour went by before Tommy Shelby stormed into the surgery, not bothering to take his cap off. Bursting in her door he walked in on Amelia checking a gentleman's blood pressure.

"Get out" he barked at the man who in turn grabbed his coat and scuttled away.

"Tommy! He's my patient" Amelia pleaded but it was   no use. Tommy was furious with her, his jaw flexing at the sight or her at work.

"The fuck are you doing here Amelia? You should be resting-"

Amelia sighed "I'm fine. I need to keep busy" and Amelia turned to place her tools back. Tommy walked over quickly and grabbed her by her arm before he started to pull her out of the door.

"Hey!" She called as she tried to wiggle out his grasp.

"You're so god damn stubborn" he hissed "I've got shit to do, I haven't got time to be doing this" and his temper bubbled.

"Nobody is asking you too" and she looked up at him, her big green eyes burning into him.

Tommy sighed and leaned down, his anger fading, to kiss her softly on her lips "Please go home" Amelia melted into the kiss and found herself needing more, taking comfort in him.