22. The Confession

IM NOT THE only one who thinks Sirius got more attractive over the summer. Within the first month I'm recognizing the boldness of some people - whether Sirius does or not is a whole other question. He's either very good at ignoring them, or just very daft. Remus tells me if I want him, I better act quick, I lie and say I've lost feelings for him, but even I'm not convinced when the words come out of my mouth.

"I'll give you three chocoballs for the jelly slugs." I offer Peter.

He looks between my pile of sweets and his.

"Four." He says and I purse my lips.

Honeydukes has a massive sale going on, so naturally, Peter and I stuffed bags full of sweets and are now trading like children. The five of us are huddled in one of the bigger booths of the Three Broomsticks with a boy that's been hanging around them the last couple of days. I never got his name but he's been speaking with Sirius, who's sitting beside him.

"Fine." I say.

"Five." He changes his mind. "You don't eat chocolate."

"I'm bringing some for Jiaying." I say, she's spending the day going over her new cause, researching, rounding people up. I'm supposed to join when I go back (along with find out what the cause is), and I'm not joining empty handed. "Four or no deal."

Peter thinks for a moment, looking at the packets of Jelly Slugs he has on the table.

"Deal." He says and we trade.

"Your drink." Remus says, coming back to the table and handing me a mug. "What's happening?"

"Negotiation." James answers, across from Peter, his elbows leaning on the table as he watches the two of us, probably not as interested in the conversation of the two people on his right. His head boy badge is presented proudly on his jumper, even though he's not wearing his uniform.

I move some of my merchandise over and place down my drink with a 'thank you' as Remus slides into the spot beside me.

"Can I have a pack of Whizzbees?" Sirius asks me and I push one across the table.

"That's bogue, I had to trade two wands for one!" Peter complains.

"You tried to jap me out of five chocoballs." I remind him and he shuts up.

"How much for fudge flies?" James nods towards them and I look at the limited amount of sweets he has. My nose scrunches when I realize I don't like any of them.

"Take it." I toss it to him and Peter exclaims at this unfairness.

"Don't think I've ever seen anybody buy this many sweets." The new boy says and I have to agree as I look at Peter's pile, he places out two sugar quills to get the ball rolling.

I offer two pumpkin pasties and Peter shakes his head.

"Yea, I'm sure these two bought out the store." He says and the boy giggles. I shake my head with a smile and add another quill to Peter's offer then look over my pile for a bargaining chip.

"Well, what's say you and I check out another offer?" Sirius' companion goes and my hand hovers a bit slower as I pretend to think. "Madame Puddifoot's got a new tea flavour if you'd fancy a taste."

My eyes flick up to James on the other side of the table and I see him raise his eyebrows and give an impressed look as if to say, 'he's bold'. I smile slightly, because I agree, but pick up another pumpkin pasty to add.

"Oh, no." Sirius says. "Puddifoot's not my vibe."

"S'it cause of that Hufflepuff girl you're always hangin' 'round with?" He asks and I look up at him because I'm the Hufflepuff girl he's always hangin' 'round with. He doesn't spare me a glance.