36~ Mark of Poseidon

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

"Excuse me?"

My words came out breathless, incredulous. Jungkook's words bounced around in my head, and my mind scrambled to wrap around the true meaning of what the mark meant. Bound... will...bent...

Jungkook stepped away from me until his back hit the opposite wall. He shook his head, muttering to himself, his words just barely audible. "I should've realized something was up. No wonder the ocean was troubled last night. Dad was pissed."

Wonderful. So I— an average student just trying to survive the game of life—had somehow managed to piss off a deity. Not just any deity either. The ocean god, one of the Big Four.

Way to go Y/N.

"Why would your dad be pissed at me?" I protested, eyes flickering down to my wrist. The symbol branded upon my skin glowed mockingly back at me. "And whatever happened to the necklace of protection thingy?"

"The necklace only protects you from being mortally wounded or killed by an Olympian. That Mark does not mortally wound or kill you."

I glanced back up to give a smart reply. Instead I had just enough time to see Jungkook look away. My stomach twisted when I caught a glimpse of an almost haunted look that reverberated in the depths of his eyes.

"You've seen this mark before, haven't you?" I said softly. "You've seen what it's done."

He shrugged. But even that casual action was stiff from his tensed muscles. "My mother had that branded on her wrist."

Surprise flickered through me. I'd never once stopped to think of Jungkook even knew his mother. The only time he'd ever alluded to her had been when he was about to blab on how his father and her had met.

At the time I had not wanted to know anything about how a greek god might have taken up a mortal woman in his clutches. But now curiosity burned through me.

As if sensing my thoughts Jungkook continued after a couple more moments of tense silence. "I was taken up to Olympus when I was very young; as soon as the gods realized that I had retained Poseidon abilities, unlike many demigods who are born powerless. I don't remember that much of her. I can't even recall her face. I do remember seeing the mark on her wrist though. She'd been trying to stop them from taking me. But what is a mortal against the strength of an Olympian?"

I stared at him. "They ripped you away from her... just like that?"

"I also remember her trying to throw something at one of the Olympians," he continued as if he didn't hear me. "But then the mark on her wrist flared up and she collapsed."

To rip a child away from a mother's arms... "That's merciless," I murmured.

A cold smile twisted on Jungkook's mouth. "The gods have no mercy. That's why they're gods."