Chapter Twenty-One

Sophie lay in her sleeping bag, staring up at the ceiling. After the initial shock over Tam and Keefe tricking everyone wore off, the friends realized they were rather exhausted. It had been a busy day.

Even though Sophie was tired, she couldn't fall asleep. Something was bothering her. She was reflecting back on her day when she remembered how well Keefe played his part as the very surly, salty Draven. He didn't always seem grumpy though. At times he looked a little sad. Plus he watched her and Fitz very carefully and never met her eyes, not even when they were alone. Sophie didn't know why that bothered her so much.

Tired of all the unanswered questions swirling through her brain, Sophie quietly got up to get some water. She decided it would be a good chance to get some fresh air as well.

To her surprise, when she reached the kitchen, light was peeking out from under the door. Sophie cautiously opened the door. She poked her head into the room and saw a very odd-looking Keefe sitting at the crystal counter. His eyes were dull, his hair somehow stuck out in even more directions than before, and his hands were tightly balled into fists.

"Keefe?" Sophie whispered. His head shot up. The blond boy's eyes lit up for a second, only for them to go dull again. He lowered his head. Sophie bit her lip, but continued with her mission. She fumbled around the kitchen until she found a bottle of youth. She sat down two chairs away from Keefe, deciding a little space would be safe.

After a moment of awkward silence, Keefe finally spoke.

"Sorry I ruined your plan with Fitz." He said, still not looking at her. Sophie's eyes widened.

"You knew about that?" She asked. He nodded.

"I accidentally overheard you guys when you were planning." His face was expressionless. Sophie hesitated before asking,

     "Keefe, are you okay?"

     "Yeah." He replied. Sophie wasn't convinced.

     "I know you better than that," Sophie told him. His head jolted up, and for the first time since the start of the game, he looked her in the eyes.

"Do you?!?" Keefe demanded, almost sounding angry. Sophie recoiled.

     "I'm sorry," he said quietly, looking pained. "I can't tell you."

     "Can you please try? I want to help," Sophie pleaded. She was relieved that he wasn't mad at her, but she hated seeing him so upset. Keefe shook his head.

"I have tried, Sophie," he said. "So many times." She reached for his hand. To her surprise, he pulled away.

     "You just don't get it Sophie," Keefe said, with a very weary look on his face. Sophie knew their friendship wouldn't be the same if she didn't do anything. She decided to push him further, knowing that if he got mad at her it would be worth it. His feelings were more important.

"Keefe," she pleaded once more. "Please." His face scrunched up.

"Fine," he said, finally cracking. "I'll tell you! I like you okay! There. I said it." Keefe seemed to deflate after he said those words. It was like a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. He still looked frustrated, but he also looked relieved.

Sophie was speechless. She felt a wave of giddiness rise up to her chest. But she quickly smushed it down. He couldn't be serious, could he? Keefe Sencen liking her? Sophie Foster? But then, she realized that it was true. She was just too blind to see all the signs. The way he always complimented her, flirted with her, and always stayed by her side. Sophie didn't know what surprised her more. Knowing that he had liked her all along, or the fact that she realized that she liked him, too.

     "Keefe," she whispered. "I like you too." He turned his head to look at her. At first, he looked overjoyed. But then it faded.

"Are you sure," he asked. "I don't want you to feel guilty if you don't like me back. I'll be fine if you don't." He smiled weakly.

"Plus you have Fitz," he added. "While I don't think he's the best for you, I'll still respect your decision. I'll always support you, no matter what." Sophie felt her heartbeat almost deepen somehow with gratitude. Possibly something else, too.

"Keefe, that's really sweet and I appreciate it," she said. "But I really do like you! And I'm starting to realize that I have all along. It's that heart vs head theory, right? I understand now." She nudged his shoulder.

"You're an Empath, remember," she teased. "You should know that I'm telling the truth." He finally smiled.

"Prove it." He said, smirk in full force and eyebrows arched.

"Alright then," Sophie accepted, knowing he would never predict what she was about to do.