Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Chapter 30 - Secrets

As Lyrani perused Princess Livh's diary, her eyes wandered between the window and the shimmering, dark blue call-crystal on her nightstand as she anticipated the familiar glow of an incoming call.

As if sensing her impatience, the crystal lit up. Lyrani jumped to her feet and tapped it thrice.

Morloy's face appeared. He wasn't the caller Lyrani had been expecting but someone who always brought a smile to her face nonetheless.

"Hello, Morloy."

"Lyr." He gave her his characteristic grin, bright against his dark skin. "I made contact with Gazana."

"Oh, thank goodness!" Lyrani sat on her bed, sighing with relief. "I was worried I wouldn't get to her in time."

Lyrani had been calling Gazana at least every hour since she and Trelle agreed on the plan, growing more desperate each time she failed to connect. It had been a good idea to reach out to Morloy, the one person in the realm more determined than Lyrani was to contact Gazana.

"Gazana is in a remote section of Pindy, so it was difficult to reach her, but she agreed to call you this afternoon when she's done with her work for the day," said Morloy.

Hope swelled inside Lyrani, bright and certain. All was not lost for Nash and the realm.

"Brilliant! I can always count on you."

"You know it." Morloy smiled again, but that couldn't hide the worry tightening his eyes.

Lyrani would take his hand to comfort him, but she couldn't because all they were to each other for the moment was images in midair.

All she could do was ask, "How are things on your side?"

Last Lyrani had heard of Fegris Mountain, debris was being cleared, and bodies were being counted. Healers were accustomed to death but not when it involved their friends and neighbours.

Morloy's smile faltered. "As good as they can be. We're all working from home while the damage to Fern Manor is evaluated."

"I hope it can be repaired soon."

Working away from headquarters made their work less secret, and even a little compromise of classified information could have big consequences when it came to the safety of everyone in Irylen and the rest of Elvenland. ECISI didn't need more problems than they had now.

"I'm sure it will be. Lord Dundor has made it a priority." Morloy turned away as a background voice spoke indistinct words. He nodded then looked back at Lyrani. "I've got to go. I have a patient waiting for me. Stay safe, Lyr. I'll see you soon."

"You stay safe too."

With a last smile, Morloy disappeared, leaving Lyrani looking at the empty air. She set the crystal on her nightstand to await Gazana's call.

Lyrani also had dinner with Nash to look forward to. The thought made her palms sweat in excitement, in fear.

As she lay on her bed, she thought again about their kiss under the stars the previous day.

She knew what she had seen in the crystal cave. A small part of her had figured out what it meant, even if the rest of her wasn't ready to accept it yet.

Whatever the Curse of the Crown was, killing Nash might not end it. That thought was both a comfort and more terrifying than any other conclusion Lyrani had reached during this mission.

Gazana was the only elf who could help Lyrani save Nash and Elvenland now.

Outside, it was golden hour. It was the type of afternoon Lyrani liked to spend outside on the porch, looking down at the fields beyond the mountains of central Irylen. If ECISI had a quiet day, Morloy would be home early, cracking jokes while he helped her prepare dinner.