Twelve

^The song I visioned  playing
I'd be lying if I said these chapters didn't make me feel sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draven pulled over on the highway to stare at the knife. He couldn't stand going back to being confined in his mind. It caused his mind to go into the past, jail times.

A new kid was being admitted to the jail and the inmates were excited. Fresh meat was rare but they'd take anything they could get. Once he got there, men backed him into a corner.

"We're top dog here, step out of line if you're tough. It'll only make kicking your ass even more satisfying," a group leader spoke up. To prove his point, he let his goons beat the kid.

The knife was now in Draven's hand with tears hitting the blade. He could freshly remember crying on the shower floor. His bruises didn't go away for a week and security didn't help, not once.

One cut on his arm.

The kid was sleep like most in the jail. Except two goons were on their way to his cell. One covered his mouth which woke him up, but he couldn't fight the second one. The second person injected a drug into his system making the kid spasm out. It didn't stop until he knocked out cold.

Three more cuts and plentiful more tears.

He gave one guard a wrong look during lunch. The guard got rowdy and all up in his face. He shoved them back which was the wrong move again. Many watched as his ass got beat with a baton and did nothing. Two weeks lasted until those bruises went away.

The bottom of his forearm was now filled with bloody cuts. Blood dropped onto his pants along with tears.

He decided to pay attention to the sting of them instead of his thoughts. This was the time he pulled back onto the interstate. His eyes were blurry from tear, he couldn't see where he was driving.

Then it all went wrong.

A car honked before Draven's car went flipping in the air. He was consciously crying until red and blue lights got closer. With the car being upside down, blood rushing to his head added to the glass shards on his body. The stinging in his arm is all he felt before he passed out.

Milo kicked off his shoes and fell into bed exhausted. His mind went back to what happened today, causing his eyes to well up in tears. His phone rang before they could fall. Calista, Draven's mom, was the one calling so he answered.

What she told him officially made the tears fall as he put his shoes back on. Milo ran out of the house and drove to the correct hospital quickly. The receptionist looked up, upon hearing someone rush in.

"Hello sir, how may I help you?" She looked concerned at the man who's face was full of tears.

"I...need to know...where Draven Easton is," Milo was out of breath and tried to wipe his face. She went to typing which seemed like forever to him.

She sighed as her chair turned back to him. "He's still in the back but if you take this hallway, there's a waiting room." He didn't wait around for after because he sprinted towards that direction.

Milo came around the corner to find Calista pacing. They catch each other eyes and he runs into her open arms. Both cry together for a while, she petting his hair the entire time.

The pair stop crying and try to get themselves together. "Can you tell me exactly what happened?" Milo was afraid of the answer but he hoped it wasn't serious.

"Draven got into a bad car accident...flipped in the air three times and landed upside down. There were reports of a bloody knife," She finished by looking away from Milo to the door. He was dumbfounded at the actual seriousness.

Before he could respond, a nurse walked out and said they could follow her. She brought them to a room where Draven were hooked up to machines. Calista ran to the side of the bed and dropped to the floor crying.

Milo still stood at the door frozen, his hand over his gaping mouth. Tears threatened to fall again but he needed to be strong for Calista's sake. A hand rubbed her back to soothe her heartache.

Thinking back to before he knew Draven, Milo saw how lonely and sheltered he was. He realized that Draven brought a new and brighter light into his life. And he'd be damned if he lost that so fast.

When she calmed down, Milo pulled chairs up on both sides of the bed. He helped her into one and sat in the other. The situation earlier long forgotten as he grabbed Draven's hand and interlocked their fingers.

His hand felt warm and swallowed Milo's tiny one, but fit perfectly with each other. Milo got lost in thought until the hand he was holding twitched. A smile came onto his face as his eyes roamed Draven's face.

Milo brought their interlocked hands up and kissed the other hand. Calista watched the whole interaction and thought, I'm so glad my son found such a wonderful person. She didn't want to interrupt so she stayed quiet.

Meanwhile, Milo eyes were getting heavy so he set his head on the edge of the bed. He squeezed Draven's hand and thought,

Why did you have to be reckless when I was starting to fall in love with you?

And the darkness took over.