Chapter 8

Aragorn looked over as Legolas pulled her gently away, she threw him a smile shaking her head. This was between her and Legolas. She had the feeling Aragorn had already spoken to the elf. Legolas led her down several stairs to a quiet garden with a waterfall pouring into a blue pool. Farren pulled herself out of his grip, crouching down running her fingers through the clean, cool water.

"You scared me Farren. When you fell. I thought I wouldn't reach you in time"

"So, it was you" she breathed, still looking at the rippling water instead of at the prince.

"I know you're angry" he started

"No, I'm not. I gave up on my anger years ago" she kept her voice quiet as she turned to the prince, "Anger is good. At the right time. But years in anger just eats away at you, until there is nothing left"

Legolas tilted his head in confusion, "So what are you? Are you going to ignore me for the whole journey?" It was ironic that his voice held more anger than hers. Farren spoke the truth, she had let her anger fade at his desertion, now only cold betray remained.

"I'm not angry. I'm disappointed"

He flinched. "What was so important that you left without an explanation? What was so important that you did not come back to us in 60 years?"

Legolas closed his eyes in pain. He joined her at the water's edge, "Tauriel". Farren made a small noise of understanding in her throat. "She was dying." Farren was surprised the elf had lasted so long without Kili. They say they elves could die of a broken heart or in battle, apart from that they were immortal. "She asked for me"

"So why not tell us? Me and Aragorn would have understood. You loved her."

"No. No, I did not love her. Not in the way she did the dwarf. If I loved her, I would not be standing here, I would be dead". Farren looked up at him, searching his eyes, he wasn't telling her something. Farren whispered her question to the ripples, "What did she say?"

"She told me what my father told me after the Battle of the Five Armies. To fall in love and never let go"

Farren reached up to tip his chin up, "I know you too well to know that is not all she said, Legolas. But I forgive you. No matter how much pain you caused me. I loved you as a brother" Legolas' eyes fell to hers, "This journey will not be easy. I would like you by my side again. Frodo will not be safe unless we all trust each other and forgive each other. In time I hope you will see what I see in dwarfs"

"Is this about Fili?" His voice was barely above a whisper, his breath ghosting over her face. Farren pulled out of his hold.

"I will see you later Legolas, we have a journey to prepare for and I must get back to my brother"

Farren carried herself away from the prince, her heart beating more quickly than was natural. She reached her room pressing her back to the door. Sliding slowly down it to rest her head on her knees. It was only after meeting him again, caused her to realise how much she had missed the blonde elf. It was physical pain clenching around her heart. Tauriel. It had always been about Tauriel.

A small nudge at her ankle caused her to look up. The squirrel was nudging her. "You are stubborn, aren't you" she giggled. She stood packing her pack for the journey, changing into her black trousers and shirt with a long black cloak, it was similar to Aragorn's. Strapping her sword across her back with Legolas' dagger at her hip.

Farren approached the fellowship, Arwen walking gracefully away from Aragorn towards her, tears in her eyes. Farren caught sight of Arwen's necklace clasped around her brother's neck. Arwen embraced her, holding her tightly. "Please be careful"

"I always am. I'll keep him out of trouble for you". Elrond was addressing the company but Farren remained holding Arwen's hands. Arwen was stunning since she and Aragorn had met the elf had always acted as a motherly figure for Farren, teaching her things that Aragorn could not.

"Do not be afraid to love Farren" Farren looked up quickly, opening her mouth defensively. Arwen lowered her face to whisper in her ear, "Fili's heart was not the only heart you hold in your hands". She pulled back, pushing Farren gently towards the fellowship as Frodo turned to lead the way. Farren looked back bewildered but Arwen was looking sadly at Aragorn who looked equally distraught.

The rest of the company had walked out of the arch except the two rangers. Elrond smiled fondly at Farren, bowing his head to her. She took a deep breath and took her brother's hand, pulling him out of Rivendell. This was not how the company of dwarfs had left, but this way felt far worse.

They walked through the valley, out of Rivendell's borders. "Legolas did not tell me everything did he?" She and Aragorn were at the back of the fellowship. He looked at her in surprise before shaking his head. 'But he told you. Of course, he did. I'm too young and I'm a woman' he said bitterly.

"No. That is not why and you know it Ren. The rest is Legolas" alone to tell you and he will. When he is ready' Aragorn pulled her into a side hug, Legolas who was ahead looked back at them, smiling and despite her bitterness at having information withheld from her, she smiled back. The elf's face lit up; he strode backwards grabbing her hand pulling her to the front of the company. Aragorn and Gandalf laughed as the others looked up in surprise.

"Look Farren!" Legolas called to her excitedly pointing over the ridge they had climbed to. Farren hurried to his side and froze. Plains of flowers spread before them, the mountains in the distance. Birds fluttered around singing in the light.

"Wow" Frodo gasped as the fellowship joined them. Petals fluttered over the landscape, dancing in the gentle breeze. Farren laughed gripping Frodo's hands pulling the ringer bearer into the fields, swinging him around in a dance. Merry and Pippen soon joined in and at Farren's beckoning so did Sam. She twirled and danced among the petals and the warm sun, the hobbits gambling around her.

She caught Aragorn's look of joy as he and the rest of the fellowship laughed and smiled at her antics. A mischievous grin split her lips and Aragorn's smile fell. He began frantically shaking his head as she approached, smiling sweetly at him. His sound of protest was drowned out by Boromir, Gimli and Legolas' laughter as she pulled him into the flowers.

He began to dance with her, picking her up and spinning her around, smiling the whole time, twirling her around like he had when they were children. She was glad to see joy resurface in his eyes for the first time since leaving Arwen, she knew that Arwen would sail across the sea to the Undying Lands, she had said goodbye in her own way to both of them.

She caught Legolas' gaze, the elf's face was strange to her, a mixture of amazement, joy but also sadness and confusion. Merry and Pippen had pulled Boromir with them, the Gondorian looked extremely awkward as Merry and Pippen tried to teach him some kind of jig, while Gandalf and Gimli had been dragged over by Sam and Frodo. Only Legolas wasn't dancing, Farren placed her hands on her hips. 

"Come princeling" she extended her hand, "Or I shall make you dance with Gimli". Aragorn laughter resounded in her ears as she pushed Legolas at the dwarf, the elf in question throwing her a dirty look but a smile still fixed on his face.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N My favourite chapter so far a balance of angst & fluff! I mean two characters actually talking to each other to sort through their problems?! Who would have thought it was possible!

I also really enjoyed the meadow scene at the end, I want to include lighter moments in this story and these little scenes make me smile. I hope you liked it too.

Thank you so much for the support, we are almost at 500 reads!

Wren