| chapter six |

| chapter six |

S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters -  clara's temporary room

Clara sat on her bed, headphones in her ears as she listened to the audio book. She found this a lot easier than reading books at her slow pace, though she found herself reading faster than she used to at the mere fact that she didn't have to do it in secret.

She didn't hear the knock on the door, but her attention was drawn to it when she saw it open out of the corner of her eye. A smile lit up her face as Peter and Bruce stood at the door, and she took her earphones out as they asked if they could come in.

She sat straight as Peter closed the door behind them, Bruce moving closer to his soulmate on her bed.

"How's your reading coming along?" He asked.

"It's better than it used to be, I can read a bit quicker now."

"That's good. Do you mind if I give you something to read quickly?"

"Sure." she held out her hand patiently as Bruce placed a piece of paper in it. The font was different than any she had seen before, and she found it somewhat easier to read, especially aloud.

Once she had read the paragraph, she looked up at Bruce who was staring at her as if he was analysing her.

"Was it easier to understand what was on the page?" He asked her. She nodded her head, watching as he did the same and took the piece of paper out of her hand slowly.

"Would you mind coming to the lab for a few tests? Nothing physical, nothing that can cause you any pain, I promise." He reassured her when he saw her tense up at the word tests. "This is a font that helps people read when they have a learning difficulty. I think you may have it, especially if this aids it. You don't have to, but I'll be able to help you."

"You promise it won't hurt?" She whispered.

"You have my word. It's more of a reading comprehension test than anything from a medical examination. You'll be absolutely fine."

Clara hesitated, weighing her options. She looked over to Peter who gave her a soft smile, his arms folded over his chest as he waited by the door.

"Will you both be there?" She shyly questioned.

"Won't leave your side." Peter assured her.

"Okay then, I'll go."

She set her iPad on the bedside and slid on her shoes next to her bed. Peter opened the door for them and she walked between him and Bruce as the latter led them to a lab.