28

MINHO ROLLED ONTO his back, momentarily letting his grip on Newt go.

Frankie took the chance to jab her fists and elbows until Newt let go of his firearm, then Jorge jumped in and pinned him to the ground.

For a few second she felt like she was underwater. Her logic and senses were blocked by unknown forces and for once, she couldn't feel nerve, she couldn't feel her heartbeat. Only numbness and Minho.

She held onto Newt's feet, together with Stephen and Teresa, and the block on her ears popped. Frankie whipped her head to look over her shoulder in fear, "Minho—"

"Is fine," Minho himself replied.

"Min— Minho, are you shot?!" She stuttered, which was so unlike her.

"No," Minho grunted as he sat up, "But this hurts like a shucking shucked klunk."

Frankie breathed out in relief. Under her hold, Newt was still writhing and spraying nonsense.

The bullet was embedded in Minho's vest, on the right side of his torso.

Brenda unhooked the vest and lifted his shirt, revealing (not just abs, but also) a purplish blue contusion.

"Can you move?"

Minho pushed himself to stand up and groaned, "Shuck."

"It's probably fractured ribs—"

"And we're not even in the building yet," he sighed, fastening his attire back on, "It's fine."

"You kind of have to be," Brenda frowned.

"I CAN'T LET YOU DO THIS! I CAN'T... LET YOU..."

"They should be more creative with their choice of words," Minho commented.

"STOP! STOP! LISTEN, THEY'RE GONNA KILL THOMAS! THEY'RE GONNA CUT HIM OPEN AND TAKE HIS BRAIN—"

Then, with the soft sound of door unlocking, Newt stilled, clamped his mouth shut, and looked around wearily. It seemed like he finally got his consciousness back.

"Shuck," he muttered, "What the bloody hell just happened to me."

"The system's down!" Gally announced.

"I shot you," Newt lamented, panting heavily. The four people who had him glued to the ground stood up and he followed suit, "Shuck, I'm so sorry. Bloody hell."

Minho patted his back, "No time for that. We gotta move."

Newt groaned, "I have a headache."

"Hang in there, man."

Brenda and Jorge, fired up by what Newt had said earlier about Thomas being killed, ran inside and immediately disappeared into the right hallway

"Let's go!"