Part 1 - The Interview

Grace looked once more at the card the agency had given her, then at the street sign. This was the place. After smoothing her hair, she slipped through the gates and up the steps to the front door. Taking a deep breath, she rang the bell and waited. There was no answer. She took the card out of her bag once more and checked the appointment time. Satisfied she was right, she rang again, letting the bell ring much longer. For some where in the house she heard a dog bark and a voice shouting. Ringing the bell once more, she fixed a smile on her face. Finally the door opened.

"Good Morn..."

"What the fuck do you want? It's the crack of dawn!"

Grace stepped back, alarmed.

"I'm...I'm.." she stammered.

"GO AWAY! Let me get some fucking sleep!" 

The door was slammed in her face.

Gulping back the urge to cry, she fled from the house and out into the street. Taking a few deep breaths, she regained her composure and wondered what to do. She desperately needed a job! Rummaging in her purse for a few coins, she headed off to the nearest phone box. She rang the agency and explained her predicament. The woman on the end of the phone assured her that she would check with the home owner once more and to ring back in a hour. Grace hovered around the phone box until the time to call.

"Ah, Miss O'Connor, it seems that this morning was something of an oversight by the house holder. He does still require a house keeper, that's if you are still interested in the job?"

"Err....yes. Yes I am."

"Then if you go back to the house  for 12.15 then the interview will take place as planned."

"Right...thank you."

"Good Luck!"

Grace put the phone down and heaved a sigh of relief. She was desperate for the job but couldn't help but be wary.

Fixing a smile on her face, once more she rang the door bell and waited. A dog barked and she heard a man's voice telling the dog to be quiet. The door was opened by a young dark haired man dressed in jeans and a open necked shirt..

"Hello?" 

"Good afternoon sir. My name is Grace O'Connor. I've been sent for the Houseproud Agency."

"Hello love!" The man smiled at her, "Sorry about earlier on. You caught me after working late. C'mon on in and we'll have a chat. OK?"

Grace nodded and followed the man into the house. To her surprise he took to to the large kitchen.

"Take a seat. I'll put the kettle on. Tea? Coffee?"

She perched on the edge of a chair set around a large table. "Tea please. Milk. No sugar." she replied softly.

He finally placed the tea things on the table and sat opposite her. 

"Right Grace, how d'ya do. I'm Paul and this is my house."

"Yes sir."

"Did the agency explain what I wanted?"

"They said a housekeeper, domestic duties, some cooking."

Paul nodded. "Yeah, that's right. My regular woman is ill at the moment. Needs some kind of operation. Not sure how long she'll be away - could be a few months. That OK with you?"

"Yes sir. The agency has explained it is only a temporary role."

"Call me Paul please," he said then stood up. "If you come with me, I'll show you the little flat."

"Flat?" Grace looked confused.

Paul sat down again. "Yeah. The flat where you'll be living whilst you work for me."

"Oh."

"What's wrong?"

"The agency didn't say it was a live in job." said Grace slowly, "I've just signed a lease on a room for myself. I can't give it up now. It's all signed."

"How much is your rent? On your flat?"

Grace told him.

"Then how about, you move her and work for me. You've got great references and I think we'll get on OK. I'll pay you extra so that you can keep the rent on your flat whilst your here. That way, you'll have somewhere to move back to once my housekeeper comes back!"

"You'd do that? But you don't know anything about me!"

Paul smiled. "I have what the agency told me. And you can tell me something about yourself. I'm guessing you're Irish by your accent?"

Grace smiled and nodded. "I grew up on a farm outside Galway. I arrived in London a few months ago."

"Can you cook, clean up a bit, do a bit of washing?"

"Yes of course I can."

"Sorted. You need a job. I need a housekeeper! We can help each other out!" Paul stood up again, "So, do you want to see the flat now?"

Yes...thank you." Grace stood up and followed Paul to a door off the kitchen. He took a key from his pocket. "I don't have the key normally, you'd have it.Here we go. Rose, my house keeper, has cleared her stuff away safely. Anything you need, like bedding or towels in in the airing cupboard, I can show you where that is. It's a nice little flat. Bedroom, Kitchen, Bathroom, Living room."

Grace looked at each of the rooms which led off from a small hallway. They were immaculately clean and freshly painted. Despite being at the back of the house, they large windows flooded the rooms with light and looked into the large back garden. 

"It's lovely," said Grace, smiling at him.

"So you'll take the job?"

She nodded, "If you want me."

"Great. When can you start?"

"Anytime."

"Now?"

Grace laughed. "I suppose so."