30

FRANKIE GLANCED BACK and saw that the end of the line was near. She could see Gally trying to take a peek on what's happening out front as well.

"Can you take this spot?" she jumped down and asked Newt.

Newt nodded.

"Alright. Let's go. We have to help Teresa," she gave Sonya an encouraging push. Sonya obediently went ahead and they slid down the parachute.

Frankie breathed out in relief when she saw that there were only a handful of Grievers left. Thomas was there to help —so were Brenda and Jorge.

She never fought a Griever before. She had run from it countless of times, though.

"There's a lever inside. It'll kill them," Sonya advised, "I was a Mapper, too."

A rod extended from one of the Grievers, aiming for a man, and Frankie charged forward to help

A rod extended from one of the Grievers, aiming for a man, and Frankie charged forward to help. She cut its tip off with a slash of her knife and she grabbed the rod, pulling it out. She pushed her arm into its gooey body and tried her best to ignore how disgusting it felt against her skin.

Brenda came over and helped swatting away any appendages that dared to come closer to them.

"Why are you here?"

Then she felt something lever like and she pulled on it.

The Griever let out one final shriek and fell onto the floor in a hump.

"Thomas insisted to help!" Brenda replied, catching her breath.

They looked around —Behind them, Minho was already there, taking on the one last Griever standing.

"Minho, just let me distract it!" Thomas yelled, "Get everyone out of here and have Brenda start leading them to the maintenance room!"

Teresa suddenly flashed in from its right, throwing her body onto the Griever. It immediately collapsed into a ball, all its metal arms retracting to press her to its skin.

"Teresa!" Thomas screamed, but that was the last they could hear.

Minho put his hands on their backs and forced them to go.

"Thomas!" Brenda screamed.

"The building's collapsed, and we have more than a hundred people to lead —Thomas and Teresa can handle a Griever!" Minho urged.

Frankie convinced Minho to go ahead and help Stephen lead. She ran with Brenda, hand in hand, moving faster than the flow of the crowd through the dark hallway.

"Brenda!"

Their jog was disturbed with Thomas' arrival. Brenda immediately pushed her way towards him and pulled him into a hug. Then she kissed his cheek.

"Minho made me leave," Brenda said. "I should've stayed. I'm sorry."

"I told him to," Thomas responded. "You did the right thing. The only thing. We'll be out of here soon."