19: Sleeping With the Enemy

WARNING: a second of abusive content.

12-13-2014
-

~Mikayla's pov~

~Mikayla's pov~

I licked the syrup off my fingers after the last piece of my french toast was swallowed.

We all pitched in to buy breakfast after we ended up at the diner me, my mom, and my father used to go to. When Ethan wasn't listening, Jacob had turned to me and asked if I was alright with his eyes. I sucked it up and nodded. I needed to get over how my family used to be so close because it was slowly dawning on me—or maybe the knowledge had always been with me but I decided to ignore it and replace it with fantasies—that my relationship with my father will never be the least bit mended with the best of help.

We walked out the place after placing our plates on the place above the trash. "I think we should go home," Jacob said during the walk back to the car. "Where's my car?" he asked.

Ethan pressed the button on the keys and the car made a sound. "Alyssa dropped it off at the corner of your street then Max drove the rest of the way to her house." As he said this he grabbed something from his pocket and tossed the keys at Jacob. They were his car keys. "And okay, I'll drop you guys home."

'But I don't want to go home,' I thought but nodded at the idea anyway. Maybe I'll just go to the park.

"What happened to you guys anyway?" Ethan asked as he started the car after we buckled ourselves up.

"We crashed in one of the rooms . . . because Mikayla was drunk," he teased. Ever since we gotten to the diner and ordered our breakfast, he hadn't let me forget about the fact I had drinks and ended up throwing up on his shirt.

Ethan nodded. "Oh, and I heard you and Kate were fighting?" His eyes flickered to mine before returning to the road and slowing down at a yellow light

"I don't remember what happened, let Jacob tell you." I waved my hand in he passenger seat's direction.

Glad to tell the story, he divulged in it, using exaggerated detail and adding in parts that I knew were not true even though I had a memory wipe now. In fact, Jacob was being so descriptive about the scene Kate and I had caused, that by the time he ended the story, Ethan was parking in front of my drive way.

I waved at them before going inside to quickly freshen up, then finally started heading to the park. The walk was lonely. I hadn't had lonely in a long time, but in someway it felt suffocating. Getting used to the late night texts shared between Jacob and I, or coming home late after spending the longest time with my friends was not on my agenda. I used to be grateful when I was alone as it gave me time to think. Now, not so much.

A gust of wind whistled by and I stuffed my hands in the pockets to keep them from the cold. Although they were just as cold as they always were, so being in the protection of my pocket made no difference. The white breath coming out of my mouth from the cold has always interested me. We could actually see what we exhale.