TWO

"You don't look too good," Dex told her as they met up in the lunch line that afternoon.

Sophie laughed. "If I said I didn't have a rough morning—I'd be lying to you."

"What happened?" He asked, staring at her paint splattered hands. "Did you get into fight with your paintbrush?"

Sophie tried to glare at him, but his joke was pretty funny. "No," She said with a small laugh. "Mrs. Oralie is crazy,"

Dex grinned. "Yeah, I should've warned you about that. She's a little out there. What did she make you guys do?"

"She told us since it was the first day of school; she was going to let us do something easy. Next thing I knew, half of the room was covered in paper and people were throwing paint balls at it!"

Dex laughed. "That's Mrs. O for you. She's very creative."

They both grabbed trays and got the same thing: A salad and a soda. They paid the lunch lady before Dex led her to a table in the corner of the lunchroom.

There were only four chairs at the table, and three of them were already full.

At the table sat a boy with dark hair and jagged silver-tipped bangs. He wore a black hoodie with a green and purple logo that read: JOKER.

Beside him was a girl that looked exactly like him. Her long, black hair was also silver tipped, but she had a sweet smile on her face. She wore an off-shouldered, gray blouse and a pair of black jeans.

They both reminded her of K-Pop idols.

The third person sat across from the girl. This girl was petite with blond hair and braids that wove in and out of her hair. She wore an orange crop-top with leggings.

"Hey guys," Dex said as they walked over.

"Hey Dex," They all said, smiling up at him, but then their attention turned to Sophie.

"That's the new girl, right?" The girl with braids asked, looking Sophie over.

Dex nodded proudly. "Her name's Sophie—do you mind getting another chair for her?"

The blond girl shook her head, grabbing a chair from another table and putting it in between her and Dex's chairs.

Sophie sat down, feeling very uncomfortable with everyone staring at her.

Then the K-pop girl spoke up. "Sorry if we're staring," She said in a very soft voice. "My name's Linh Song—it's nice to meet you."

Sophie smiled. "You too,"

Linh smiled back. "And this is my twin brother, Tam Song," Linh explained. "And that's—"

"I'm Marella Redek," The girl with braids cut in. "Tam and Linh are both sophomore's and me and Dex are freshmen."

Sophie nodded before whispering to Dex, "Is that how you know so many things about this school?" she glanced at the twins.

Dex nodded proudly. "We've all been friends for two years. And we all met the same way."

"How?" Sophie asked.

"Tam and I were walking in the hall in seventh-grade and we saw some girls picking on Marella." Linh said. "They were talking down to her about joining the year-book club because apparently that club was for losers. Well, I was a part of the yearbook committee, and that made me mad. So, I walked over there and told them to stop. When they didn't Dex came by out of nowhere and basically yelled at them. The girls all ran away and told on us, and we all got detention because they lied and said we were bullying them. But from that day on we've all been friends."