Chapter 23: Curse of Avada Kedavra (The Case)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

LOKI NEVER struck me as an art enthusiast, but what he did on the wall of our living room was impressive. From my room, it appeared as a spider's web of scarlet threads. If one would look closer, photos of familiar faces whom we had met in the past months were strategically placed on it. In the center, the smiling face of a seemingly innocent student was pinned.

Whose face was it? Stein Alberts.

Based on the latest update, he was still in a coma. Most people would feel sorry about his condition, but Clark High had never been this peaceful since the disappearance of the young criminal mastermind. If Loki was not indefinitely suspended, he would be surely bored by the lack of thrilling cases.

"What can you say about my artwork?"

I turned around to face my roommate emerging from his room. In his right hand, he held the Harry Potter book that he had been reading recently. Hindi ko pa siya natatanong kung bakit naging interesado siya sa wizarding world. He never brought up the topic anyway.

"Is this for your Art class?" tanong ko sabay turo sa obra maestra niya. "Or were you so bored last night, you decided to weave a couple of red threads?"

He walked toward his so-called artwork, his head held up high. "This isn't just a couple of red threads. This is Moriarty's spider web of conspiracy. As you've probably noticed, everyone attached to my magnum opus is or was connected to him. Most of them are dead while few are breathing and walking free."

"So Stein Alberts a.k.a. Moriarty is a spider?"

"He's a spider that sits motionless at the center of this bloody web, if I were to borrow Sherlock Holmes' words. The magnitude of his organization wasn't apparent to me until we met some of his minions. Whenever we're this close to getting an answer, Moriarty always finds a way to cut that thread so it can't be traced back to him."

Itinuro niya ang isang thread malapit sa picture ni Stein at sinundan ito hanggang sa narating ng daliri niya ang picture ng isang police officer.

"At this point of the game, there's only one living man we know who's connected to him. Bastien Montreal, the rookie campus police officer. We have no proof that Stein is connected to the murders plotted by Moriarty. But we can probably find proof from people associated with his psychopathic alter ego."

"So Officer Montreal will be the evidence? Or he will provide the evidence needed to convict Stein?"

"Precisely." He skirted around me, his hands behind his back. "The question is how. Should we wait for him to encounter us in a case again? Or should we make the first move?"