quince.

"You must've done a number on him. When they got his body they said he still had a raging hard on."

Jordan chuckled as he bit into his taco, steak and lettuce tumbled out messily from the other end onto the lime green plate under it.

Valerie sat across from him, scraping her fork across her plate. Pieces of corn, chicken, and rice were streaking all over the bright red dish as she slid her fork across them, but she was in such deep thought she didn't care she was making a mess of her meal.

When Valerie got into Jordan's car, he admitted that he was the one KJ and Colton sent to clean up the mess they expected Valerie to make at the club, however the authorities were called too soon so they got to Michael's body before he could.

Michael was alive, but just barely, one of Jordan's paramedic insiders revealed to him. That's why Jordan was needed. KJ and Colton were right, Valerie wouldn't kill the man, she'd just put him in the position to go down without a fight.

That small detail still made her stomach turn.

Seeing that his job was cancelled by the first responders, Jordan insisted Valerie let him get some food on the way to drop her back home. So, here they were at midnight, eating tacos at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food joint. Valerie was cranky and exhausted and just rattled up from her club ordeal until a question suddenly sparked in her head, making her fork clatter loudly onto the table.

Jordan, still chewing, arched one of his brows at her in confusion.

"You good, buttercup?"

Rolling her eyes at the pet name first then narrowing them, Valerie side eyed Jordan from across the table. The glare had no effect on him, and honestly humor seemed to dance within his light brown depths.

"So, what the fuck have you been watching me for all these weeks? What the hell do KJ and 'nem have you doing?" She asked irritatedly.

Jordan waved her off, uninterested in engaging with her. Dipping the rest of his taco in his personal cup of queso before sloshing the whole thing into his mouth. He rubbed the rest of the taco shell dust from his hands and shrugged on his black leather jacket once more. He then moved to get up from the table, but instead Valerie blocked his exit from their booth with her foot.

Feign-ing a bored expression on his face, Jordan slowly slid back to his original place in the booth.

"You aren't Luca Giovanni's typical type. When you kept showing up around his office building, we knew something was up. I've been snooping around you for quite some time. I know that he attended Thanksgiving with you. I know that he's the one who saved you from being spotted at the triple A meeting with Patterson..."

Valerie's heart dropped.

So, that means KJ and Colton know I lied to them about knowing anyone there?

"Luckily, for your sake, I only tell people what they've asked of me. The Armata does not know that you know Luca Giovanni as closely as you do. Whatever that may be. They are very curious to know more about their newest member though. That's why you've been seeing me." Jordan finished plainly. He was no longer the mischievously grinning guy that picked her up in his car, or even flirted with her on the bus.

Jordan rattled off his story for stalking her like business jargon.

He looked hardened while he spoke to her, and when he was done he analyzed her closely; almost like he was bracing himself to grab her if she tried to run. Valerie noticed that he was not just some boy, as she glanced at his black python arm tattoo peaking under his sleeve once again.