26 | Closer.

Happiness depends on ourselves!!

My mind was crammed with a lot of questions

My mind was crammed with a lot of questions. Why did Zayden hide his identity?

I was twisting and turning in bed, sleep was nowhere near to me. I wanted answers to my questions.

"Whatever it is you can ask?" Zayden voice boomed in the silent room.

I turn around to face him. Only the dim yellow light of night lamp was burning in the room. I could see Zayden's deep blue orbs which were peering at me. For a few second I didn't utter a word; I was completely immersed in the beauty of his eyes.

My reverie of thought was broken when he snapped his fingers in front of my eyes.

What in Hades name was I doing? Why do I always embarrass myself in front of him.

"Why did you text me with other number as some unknown person? Whose number is that? I know it isn't yours. I checked it myself." I ask angling one of my brow upwards.

"Well that's my other phone. I use it only for business. You called while I was sleeping - smart move but that day I left my phone in study room." He explained while I looked at him, mouth agape. My bad luck never leaves me alone.

"When were you planning to tell me it was you?"

"After returning from LA..."

"Wait. Why did you even text me with unknown number?"

He batted his eyelids and gulped, "After that cafeteria incident, I was unable to face you. It's my responsibility to protect you; yet I failed in it."

That day I was hurt immensely not because of the guy but because Zayden didn't do anything. He didn't even ask if I was okay.

I lowered my eyes whilst running my fingers over soft quilt. My mind was replaying the incident ruining my mood.

And then suddenly my fingers paused, my heart started beating erratically. I felt Zayden hand on my hair.

Pressing my lips straight, I heave my eyelids and look at him.

What is he doing?

He caressed my hair gently and then tucked a rogue strand of hair behind my ear.

Okay.

I am either dreaming or the person in front of me is someone else cause never in a million year Zayden will do this to ME.

I kept batting my eyelids in disbelief while my heart beat had accelerated to such a level that I could literally hear my heart thumping against my ribcage.

"Believe me I felt like banishing that person forever when he did that to you but before I could even utter or react; your brother spoke. I know your brother and you have some past misunderstanding. He doesn't like you much but you love him a lot. When he stood up for you, I stepped back cause I know somewhere this could be the stepping stone to strengthen your relationship with your brother and I would never let this chance slide. The moment he warned that guy, I saw relief crossing your face; you were happy that your brother spoke for you. Later when I walked out behind you - I, I saw Alex comforting you so I kept quiet..." he said looking very affable with his thumb gently caressing my cheek making my stomach churn with jitteriness.

I peer at him with my mouth hung open. First of all I was unable to believe that Zayden was speaking so much. My heart was literally pounding and the fact that Zayden was caressing my cheek did wonders in my stomach.

"Really? Was that the only reason you texted me as unknown?"

He sighed shutting his eyes, when he opened his eyes it was laced with guilt. "You saw me looking at Jannet. It was wrong in every ways. I was ashamed of myself. How can I? I am - I am sorry..."

I bat my eyelids unable to believe my ears. Did he just accept and apologize?

I was staring at his eyes and there was something solemn swimming in his eyes. They were stunning, deep blue held a truth that his face could not hide.

After a minute of us just staring at each other he removed his hand from my cheek.

Why did he remove? It felt so good.

I think my pensiveness was clearly visible on my face cause a hint of satisfied smirk was playing across his face.

"Okay anything else you would like to ask?"

Yes a lot!

"Hmm, why do you call me angel?" I whispered to myself.

"What? I didn't get you?"

"Why-do-you-call-me-angel?" I whispered again swiftly almost making it impossible for him to understand.

"What did you say? Your speaking very fast and your voice is too low. I didn't catch anything other than 'Why do' " He asked with his brows furrowed.

"It's okay leave it. It's not that important..."

He gazed at me for few seconds as if he was trying to crack some password and then he did something which caught me off-guard.

He placed his pillow next to mine and laid next to me. He was facing me while resting his head on his right hand.

"Say it again"

My throat was parched and I felt like I will pass out cause my heart was pulsating frantically. Albeit all the nervousness, I gulped the huge lump which was formed in my throat. "Huh- it's nothing."

He slightly narrowed his eyes and then raised his left only to wrap it around my waist. "What is it angel?" he asked with euphonious voice making my inside churn while a cold shiver coursed down my spine.

Angel?

Can he be more sweet?

I stare at him in awe as he spoke. I couldn't just ignore the enormous butterflies which took flight in my stomach when Zayden slipped his hand around my waist. My cheeks burned red.

No words came out of my lips; my mind was in daze. I was on cloud nine.

"I asked you something." Zayden whispered, his voice came out deeper and husky. Our faces were only inches apart, our nose tips almost touching.

Is he joking right now?

Speaking was too far, I think I am not even breathing.

"I - I will tell you later." Somehow I managed to blurt a sentence and then lowered my eyes.

"Okay" he didn't remove his hand from my waist nor did he move away.

Lord! How am I going to sleep when he is so close to me.

"Good night," I whispered closing my eyes and snuggling into the quilt with my hands joined and placed above my heart.

"Good Night" he replied, placing his chin on my head. My nostrils were welcomed by his manly and addictive scent.

No words, literally no words can describe how I am feeling right now.

❤...