04 | a c t i n g

"W-what are we doing?" I laughed nervously, "What are- what are you doing? It's past curfew!"

"I'm a teacher."

"Right. Right." I said, thinking of excuses: Should I say I was hungry, or that Draco was dying, or...

"We were hiding from Filch." Draco answered calmly. "Lexi needed to tell the other Potter something urgent and I tagged along because I was bored."

"Yeah, Harry and I think that a black dog is following us. Harry especially." I blurted out. "Very important twin business."

Remus frowned, "A black dog..."'

"Well, since you reminded us it's past curfew, Potter and I will start heading back to our common room," Draco finished smoothly.

Remus raised an eyebrow, "If you think—"

"Wait do you hear that?" I asked, turning around to check if anyone was there.

"Hear what?" Lupin asked exasperatedly, "You both should be in bed. Separate beds, if I didn't make myself clear."

"Remus!" I groaned.

"No, no, I hear it, too." Draco said, fighting off a smirk as he started walking toward the sound in the pitch black hallway.

"Lumos." I incanted, holding my wand in front of me. I was never one fond of the dark.

A nasal voice resonated through the hallway, "—why you insolent, little—"

I could recognize that voice anywhere. "Oh crap, it's Snape!" I cursed and pushed Remus forward, "Good luck Remus! Draco and I'll be at detention tomorrow," I winked, and immediately started running for my life with Draco in tow.

"Detention?" Draco whined, as he was being dragged, "For what?"

"You know Remus wouldn't let me out easy." I said, "We're taking the Lexi's way out."

"What do you reckon Snape was so mad about?" Draco asked once we were safely behind Slytherin doors.

I shrugged, "Just be glad he wasn't mad at us." I plummeted into the couch, "Thanks for that, by the way."

Draco shrugged, "I know you can't lie around Remus."

"Anyways, attempt one was a total failure." 

"I wouldn't call it a total failure," Draco muttered. "Lily can't bother us during detention."

"Ha! I didn't think of that." I laughed, "Goodnight jerk!"

"G' night, Mosseyes."

———

I practically flew down the stairs running to Hagrid's class. I had taken a nap that had dragged on a few hours too long, and was dangerously near being late.

As I neared the group of students, I flinched when I heard Draco cry out, "Dementor!"

He started laughing, and I sighed in annoyance. Thankfully, Hermione pulled those two apart before I came to the scene. What a lifesaver.

"Oh. Potter." Draco greeted, seemingly in a bright mood after teasing Harry.

"Whoa." I said, ignoring him and looking at the gorgeous creature with plumes of feathers embroidering it's head. I cooed, "That's literally the cutest thing I've ever seen."

"Even more than me?" Blaise asked, giving me a mock puppy face. 

"Sorry, you're after the Basilisk." I shrugged playfully, earning a flick to the forehead. "Ow!" 

Hagrid was explaining something, but I didn't listen until everyone took a step back. Everyone except Harry and I.

"Oi, the twins!" Hagrid exclaimed.

"Don't look at me," I shrugged, "Mr. Brave is over there," I pointed at Harry, who rolled his eyes at me in annoyance. I shot him a look of innocence before Draco grabbed me by the back of my collar and pulled me back into the crowd.

Ron gave Harry an encouraging nudge, that looked more like he was offering Harry as a sacrifice. My poor brother, I sighed. Sometimes sacrifice is needed for the greater good.

Harry and Gilda the Magical Dragon had a whoopity doopity great time, and became best friends instantly. I saw Hermione take Ron's hand out of fear, and I guess I needed to rethink HarryxHermione, because Ron was swooping in for the kill. 

"Potter." Draco whispered, and pointed to the back of the crowd. 

"Someone give me a fork so I can impale both of my eyes," I groaned, as I saw Lily trying to push past everyone to get to the front. She usually skipped the Slytherin and Gryffindor classes-- I liked to think that she was avoiding me-- but I guess she finally crawled back out from whatever hole she came from. 

"Stab mine, too, while your at it." Blaise muttered, seeking shelter in the throng of nearby girls. 

I could hear them whispering, "What the hell, Zabini?" and him begging for them to let him hide.

"Okay, it's your time to shine," I said as I gave Draco a firm pat on the back for good luck, "Good luck out there, soldier."

Draco rolled his eyes, but complied and trudgingly dragged his feet over to the direction where we last saw Lily. 

Harry descended from his joyride, and I guess I wasn't the only one jealous that Harry got a airway tour of the castle. 

Suddenly, Draco pushed past the crowd, an arrogant expression written all over his face, "You aren't dangerous at all, are you? You great, ugly brute." 

"Malfoy!" Hagrid warned at the same time I yelled out, "Draco!" What was he doing? 

The beast raised on its hind legs, and I saw Draco's eyes widen in fear. Buckbeak's sharp talons pierced his forearm, leaving him rolling on the floor by the time Hagrid managed to calm Buckbeak down. 

"It killed me!" he cried dramatically.

"Calm down, it's-it's just a scratch!" Hagrid said, unsure of what to do.

I pulled him up difficultly, since he was so adamant about his knees buckling. "Are you okay?" I asked under my breath. 

"Eh." He responded and winked, "I should be an actor." 

Ah. This act had something to do with our plan? I wasn't sure what inspired him to get himself attacked, but I was glad there was at least a reason for the chaos. 

Another wail of pain was oncoming, tearing my ears apart. I was trying to keep him steady, but he made it so hard, by falling limp every two seconds. I suddenly let go of him, making him fall to the floor again unexpectedly. 

"Ugh," he groaned, glaring at me.

"Oops." I smirked, and helped him back up again, ""Draco, you drama queen!" I yelled, then lowered my voice again, "I was worried for nothing, dumbass." 

"Aw. Was Potter worried about me?" Draco teased, then started whimpering for extra measure. 

"Hagrid, he has to be taken to the hospital!" Hermione said, since she was the only one in the crowd, not panicking. What a goddess.

"I'll-" Hagrid started.

"I'll do it." Lily volunteered, "Hagrid, you're the teacher, you have to make sure the class is okay. I'll walk him to the infirmary."

"Huh? Oh-yes, right." 

I exchanged looks with Draco, and he slightly shook his head. His expression turned dark, "Get away from me, Potter." he growled.

The class quieted, and suddenly everyone's eyes were on me. "Here, Lily." I said sweetly, as if we had been best friends for the last eight years, "Make sure he gets the bunk without sunlight. Draco's pretty sensitive."

"Hm." Lily smiled back, yanking Draco's arm from mine, "I know."

Pansy sighed from behind me, "Bitch."

"You're gonna regret this!" Draco said as he walked off, "You and your bloody chicken!"