RITE OF PRAYER

It took me a week to convince Ryne to let me meet his mother. The celestial one. He was being adamant about it. Apparently, Hecate had a cycle and throughout the year, she went through three phases, each changing her disposition drastically. At present, she was going through the phase of the scorpion, which meant she would be vicious, moody, angry and poisonous in her words and actions. Ryne was worried that if she found out a Dragomir had invoked her, she might end up doing something terrible to me. He requested that I wait for at least three months when she would move into the phase of the lion. But I didn't exactly have the privilege of time.

Since I was being stubborn, he said he would try to find a way to summon her without it ending in the destruction of the realm. Three days later, when we met for dinner, he said that he would have to hold a Rite of Prayer. It would keep her temperament on the lighter side and I could meet her during the ceremony. I was really grateful to him. He used my gratitude as an excuse to find out my motive behind wanting to meet her. Fortunately, I was made of tougher stuff and shut him up with a kiss.

Presently, I waited amidst the trees near the same clearing where the Moon Festival had taken place. It was large enough for hundreds of people and the moon shone directly over it. Ryne had decided to repair the damages that I had previously done and hold this ceremony here as well. Since I had completely destroyed the stone platform, a new one was laid. It was much larger and stood taller in the middle of the clearing. The platform was decorated with flowers and offerings of wine, cheese, bread and meat were placed on it for the goddess. Ryne's family stood on the platform while a few hundred magic-kind, werewolves, fae and humans surrounded it in hopes of being blessed by her presence.

While Hecate was primarily the goddess of the magic-kind, her association with goddess Ainé had her revered by the fae too. The humans looked up to her for protection while the wolves considered an aspect of her to be their moon goddess. She held a lot of honour and was the most respected celestial being in the entire world. Her might and prowess was often hailed in the form of poems, stories and songs. All in all, I was about to meet the top dog of Liremia in her most frightening form.

After informing me, Ryne had told his family all about me before bringing them over. His father was apparently not very pleased to know that I had requested this ceremony to be held. But since it was in the celebration of their goddess, and as he was already on his way, he agreed to participate. His mother had apparently been more welcoming of me. Especially when she found out that I was her son's girlfriend. She had wanted to invite me over for dinner, but the eglor had shut her ideas down with a glare. Ryne told me that eventually his mother would win. She always did.

I took deep breaths in an attempt to calm my nerves. My legs were shaking, my heart was pounding and I felt feverish. When fear began crippling my will, I remembered my father's shrivelling face and the bodies of my people in the town square. I had to do this. Thousands of lives depended on me. The only question was whether I accepted my fate graciously or if I chose myself over my people like I had always done. As I walked towards the platform, I saw Ryne's face.

He waited for me with a smile, ignorant of what was about to go down soon. He would miss me. He would even resent me for some time. But soon, he would understand my actions. After a few days, or weeks maybe, when he would think like the ti-eglor that he was instead of my boyfriend that he'd been, he would understand me.

I climbed up the platform as hundreds of people looked my way. I greeted the ageing eglor with a dignified bow. He glanced down at me, his dark eyes markedly disapproving. His olive complexion, dark features and towering form made him look like an older version of Ryne. Despite his gruff expression, he was handsome. I responded to his disdain with a smile before turning to look at Ryne's mother. She had lighter features and was stockier compared to the rest of the family. Her crown was slightly tipped on her head removing the appearance of elegant perfection that she otherwise seemed to have. Her smile was mischievous and she made a huge show of alternating glances between Ryne and me.