Chapter 46

Ashlyn Harris POV

"Ash. Ashlyn." I feel someone nudging me awake.

"Shhh. Let me sleep." I shu the voice away.

"Ashlyn, I need your help." I hear Cameron's voice break through to me. I sit up in bed and become fully alert as I see her hovering over me. She puts her index finger over her mouth telling me to keep quiet and points over to a sleeping Ali.

"Follow me." She whispers. She leads me out to the living room where she's pacing back and forth.

"What's going on? Did you have a nightmare?" I try to figure it out.

"No. No. I'm okay. But remember my old foster sister, Abigail?" She asks me. I vaguely remember Cameron talked about her here and there. I nod.

"She just called me saying she's in danger. I need to go help her and I need you to come with me so I don't do anything stupid." She quickly explains.

"What kind of danger?" I need to know the extent so I prepare myself.

"She called me from a party. I don't know. She took something and I tried to keep her on the line, but a man's voice interrupted us. We need to go. I have her location."

"Okay, get the car ready and bring some water and blankets. I'll meet you in the car in two minutes." I quickly run back to my room and change into sweats and a hoodie and head out.

I enter the passenger side of the car and before I even have time to close it, Cameron is already reversing out of the driveway. I quickly text Ali not to worry if she wakes up and doesn't find us in the house. In about 7 minutes, Cameron slams the breaks as she parks in front of what looks like a frat house.

"Cameron, be leveled headed." I warn her, grabbing her arm as she rushes in. She looks back at me before continuing. All I can do is follow her. We go room to room pushing past kids. Music is blasting and lights are flickering. It just smells like sweat and booze.

"I found her." Cameron yells before entering a room. "Fuck off her." I see her push a guy off Abigail. While Cameron fights him away, I go to a semi conscious Abigail.

"Abigail, sweetie wake up." I say hoping to get her more alert. "I need you to open your eyes."

"Mmmm." Abigail groans out. She's completely out of it.

"What did you do to her?" Cam shoves the dude repeatedly.

"I didn't do shit. She was asking for it." The douche says.

"Say it again." Cam says as she kicks him the balls.

"Cameron, we have her. Let's go." I say stopping her aggression while picking up Abigail and taking her outside to the car. I put her in the back and lay her across Cameron who entered through the opposite door.

"I'm sorry, Cameron." Abigail slurs under her breath.

"Shhh, it's okay." Cameron calmly says stroking her hair.

"Where are we taking her?" I look over my shoulder from the driver's seat and ask. I see Cameron's wheels turning, I know what she's thinking and without her speaking I state, "We'll take her to our house."

"Abby. Abigail. I need you to tell me what you took." Cameron desperately tried to get an answer from the young girl.

"I don't know. I-I s-sorry." Abigail slurs again.

"Was it pills?" I ask from the front seat.

"Mhm." I manage to hear.

"Did you drink alcohol too?" I ask another question.

"Mhm."

"Okay, we're at the house. I'm going to carry you to the shower." I tell the drugged out girl as we finally reach the house. Cam and I quickly manage to get the girl in her bra and underwear and under the cold water. She seems to be getting worse by the minute and I'm praying she isn't overdosing right now, but I know she might be.

We get her out and dry her off and put on shorts and a big T shirt and take her to Cameron's room.

"Abigail!" Cam exclaims for the tenth time within two minutes trying to get Abigail's attention.

"She's getting worse." I turn to Cam. "We need to call an ambulance."

Abigail is shivering, unresponsive, pale, and sweating.

"Fuck. Fuck!" Cameron yells and runs out the room. She's back before I can even think about following her and she's carrying a small black backpack that was the size of my palm. It's the same one Abigail had on her back before we took it off for her to shower.

"What's..." I go to talk but Cam cuts me off.

"I don't think she's overdosing. She's a diabetic. There has to be an interaction with what she took. Fuck. Abigail what did you do." I see Cameron open the backpack and take out a glucometer and needle. She pricks Abigail's finger to measure her blood sugar levels. "It's too high."

Cameron rummages through the bag again and pulls out a syringe and a vial. She measures I'm guessing the insulin and injects it into Abigail's abdomen. 

I jump as I feel hands touch by back as I lean against the door. I turn and completely forget that Ali was in the house. She looks completely worried as to what's happening.

"What's happening?" She whispers to me with sleepiness in her eyes.

"We'll explain when things settle." I whisper back. I look at Cam as she strokes Abigail's hair and whispers sweet nothings as she kneels beside the bed. A few minutes later Cam says it's okay to leave Abigail to sleep. She cleans up and packs everything. We then half close the door and make our way to the living room.

"What time is it?" Cameron asks. I'm as curious.

"A little after 2am." Ali says.