Chapter 22

May: 3

Caily: 1

"What are you making, May?" Sophie asked, peering at her daughters painting. It was a mess of all the colors of paint they had, all being swirled together by May's fingers.

"A rainbow!" May responded happily. Sophie smiles. It had been Keefe's idea to try finger painting for a new style of art, and May and Caily wanted to join in. Caily was helping Sophie swirl together shades of blue in waves and spirals. Keefe wouldn't let anyone see what he was doing yet.

"Hand me a paper towel," Keefe asked her.

"You can get your own paper towel, Keefe!"

"I mean, okay, but you brought this on yourself." Keefe said as he wiped his fingers on Sophie's face, leaving gold dots across her nose and cheek.

"Keefe!" Sophie groaned. She promptly slapped him, not hard enough to hurt, but enough to leave a blue hand-mark on his face.

"Oh, it is on!" This started a paint war between the couple, and eventually the girls as well. They had started literally just squirting paint on each others faces form the tube, when Biana came in.

"Uh, am I interrupting something, cause I can leave..." Biana said when she saw the mess.

"No! It's okay, we just got a little carried away," Sophie said.

"I can see that." Biana laughed. "I'm guessing Keefe is behind this?" Keefe gave her a wounded look.

"Yep." Sophie tattled.

"Well I need someone to rant to, so can you go up and shower so we can talk?" Biana asked.

"Sure. Keefe, take care of the girls."

"Keefe, my darling husband, would you be so kind as to wash our monsters of children while I go off to gossip with my bestest friend?" Keefe teased. Sophie glared at him. "I mean, yes mam."

Sophie ran up the stairs with Biana in tow. As soon as she got to her bathroom, she stripped off her clothes and jumped into the shower. She could hear Biana rustling through her closet.

"I've got the perfect outfit ready for you when you come out!" Biana called through the door.

"No, Biana, I'm okay!" Sophie insisted.

"If I let you dress yourself, you'll end up in something boring!"

"That's the point!" Sophie said. She stepped out of the shower and squeezed the excess water out of her hair. The bra, undershirt, underwear, and leggings she had left out for herself were waiting on the sink. She slipped them on and walked out.

"Here, put this on!" Biana flung a short, gold dress at her. "It'll really make your eyes pop!"

Sophie knew it was no good protesting, so she slipped on the dress. "I look ridiculous."

"No, you look great!" Biana said. "Now, can I please rant to you?"

"Okay," This was a regular thing in the girls' life. One of them would come over the others' house to get away from the kids to talk about, well, kids. "Why don't I invite Linh and Marella over too?"

"That sounds great!" Sophie grabbed her imparter and invited both girls over. Marella couldn't come because of her job, but Linh was free to come over.

"Marella's never available anymore!" Biana said after Sophie told her.

"Yeah, she's been writing a lot of essays against the ban on pyrokinesis. I'm really surprised the council hasn't backed down yet. Marella is very.. persuasive." In the background, the doorbell rang. "That must be Linh." The girls started walking down the stairs to hear Keefe saying hi to Linh.

"I'm guessing the girls invited you? They're upstairs." Keefe said, still covered in paint.

"Thanks. Do I want to know why you're covered in paint?"

"I'll leave you in suspense." Keefe smirked.

"We had a paint war." Sophie said from the top of the stairs.

"Hey! You gave it away!" Keefe whined. Sophie smirked, imitating Keefe.

"Come on up, Linh. We can leave Keefe to his sulking."

"I have great news!" Linh said when they got to Sophi and Keefe's room.

"You're pregnant." Biana guessed. Linh's eyes widened.

"How did you know?" she asked.

"Because all anyone ever does around here is get married and have kids!" Biana said with a laugh. "You and Wylie got married a year ago, so it makes sense."

"Congratulations!" Sophie said. "Boy or girl?"

"Girl!" All the girls squealed. "I'm so excited! She'll be so cute!"

"I feel bad for Aldric. He already has two sisters, and now he'll have three girl friends." Biana pointed out. The kids would get together for play dates, and Aldric was always forced to do something girly.

Wouldn't it be so cute if he married one of them one day?" Linh said dreamily.

"Guys! Gross!" Sophi laughed.

"What? Most of our group ended up together! Why not Aldric and one of the girls?" Biana said.

"Well, for his sake I hope it isn't May or Caily. Keefe is already protective, and they still think boys are 'stinky poos'" Sophie said. "Why don't you run back to your house and get the triplets so they can come over? The girls have been wanting to see friends."

"Yes! The triplets are driving me insane! I'll go get them now! Maybe Dex too, so he can hang out with Keefe. You know what, let's invite the whole gang over!"

"Yeah! I haven't seen most of them in a while, especially Dex." poor, forgotten Dex😢

"I'll go get Wylie, and I can hail Tam. Can you hail Fitz, Sophie?" Linh asked.

"Sure," Linh and Biana pulled out home crystals and glittered away, and Sophie picked up her imparter. "Show me Fitz Vacker"

Thanks for reading! This will be continued in the next chapter.